Seven Kumbh pilgrims mowed down by car (Lead)April 14th, 2010 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
Haridwar (Uttarakhand), April 14 (IANS) At least seven Kumbh pilgrims, including a six-year-old girl, were killed after they were run over by a car here Wednesday, police said.
“The accident took place after a speeding car ran over several pilgrims assembled near the Birla Bridge, 2 km away from the Har-ki-Pauri ghat. While two pilgrims died on the spot, the remaining five died in a hospital,” Anand Vardhan, a police officer told IANS.
“Five women, a man and a six-year-old girl were killed. Of the seven killed, we have ascertained the identity of two women. While one is resident of Orissa, other is from Madhya Pradesh,” he added.
The police denied media reports that the pilgrims were killed in a stampede during the last royal bath (’shahi snan’) of the Maha Kumbh.
“The incident took place not because of any stampede, but due to negligent driving,” Deputy Inspector General (Kumbh Mela) Alok Sharma told IANS on phone.
“We have initiated an enquiry and will take necessary action in this regard,” said Sharma.
Even as the officials and police claimed no one else was injured in the accident, police sources said at least six other people were undergoing treatment in hospital.
According to a police source, the car belongs to a ‘mahamandaleshwar’ (head of a sect).
Police are yet to make any arrests in the case.
Shahi Snan, one of the most important events of the Maha Kumbh Mela, witnesses sadhus of various sects going to the banks of the Ganga in a ceremonial march and then taking a dip in the water - a symbol that they have dedicated themselves to the holy river.
The Maha Kumbh Mela began Jan 14.
- Car mows down two Kumbh pilgrims - Apr 14, 2010
- Haridwar turns virtual fortress ahead of big day in Maha Kumbh - Feb 11, 2010
- Sea of pilgrims at Maha Kumbh for Mahashivratri bath - Feb 12, 2010
- When sadhus came astride elephants, horses at Maha Kumbh - Jan 30, 2010
- Ganga ghats resound with ecstasy on first Shahi Snan (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- 55 lakh people visited Maha Kumbh mela on Mahashivratri - Feb 12, 2010
- Haridwar overflows with pilgrims on last day of Maha Kumbh - Apr 28, 2010
- Somersaults, dance and music during Mahashivratri bath (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- Ahead of Magh Purnima, tight security at Maha Kumbh - Jan 29, 2010
- It's faith divine at Mahakumbh: millions take dip (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- 2010 Mahakumbh a bigger draw than earlier fairs (With Images) - Jan 18, 2010
- Ritual bath at Mahakumbh Mela amid tight security (Lead, with image) - Jan 14, 2010
- Rainbow shades of faith on the banks of the Ganga - Jan 14, 2010
- Big Maha Kumbh bathing day draws thousands - Jan 30, 2010
- First ritual bath at Mahakumbh Mela begins - Jan 14, 2010
Tags: alok, bridge 2, ceremonial march, deputy inspector general, five women, ganga, ghat, har, important events, kumbh mela, maha kumbh mela, orissa, pauri, pilgrims, police source, police sources, speeding car, stampede, undergoing treatment, uttarakhand