Seven killed in Hyderabad building collapse (Second Lead)February 5th, 2010 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Feb 5 (IANS) At least seven construction workers were killed and four injured as a building still under construction collapsed here Friday, police said.
Rescue workers retrieved seven bodies and pulled out four others alive from the debris of the three-storeyed building. The accident took place around 2.30 p.m. in the busy Narayanaguda area in the city centre.
Hyderabad police commissioner A.K. Khan told reporters that some more people could be trapped.
Rescue workers shifted the injured to a private hospital. The condition of one of them is stated to be critical.
An injured worker told police that when the building collapsed about 15 workers were present at the site.
The fire services department and the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) pressed their men and machinery into service to remove the debris. Gas cutters were also being used to cut the huge slabs.
Police said all the students of an adjacent private school were safe. The building of Brilliant Grammar School suffered some damage but police immediately shifted all the students to safety.
Anxious parents rushed to escort their wards home as some television channels initially reported that the school building had collapsed.
The government ordered a probe into the collapse and announced compensation of Rs.200,000 to the families of each of the deceased.
Labour Minister R. Venkata Reddy told reporters that action would be taken against the building owner.
The accident comes close on the heels of Tuesday’s fire in a corporate hospital in the city that killed three people and injured about 40.
- 11 killed in Hyderabad building collapse (Third Lead) - Feb 06, 2010
- Two killed in Hyderabad building collapse (Lead) - Feb 05, 2010
- Building collapses in Hyderabad, 10 feared trapped - Feb 05, 2010
- Toll in Hyderabad building collapse rises to 13 - Feb 06, 2010
- Hyderabad building collapse toll rises to 14 (Lead) - Feb 06, 2010
- One killed in Mumbai monorail project site accident - Jul 20, 2012
- Mumbai Metro accident: One killed, seven injured - Sep 04, 2012
- 13 injured in school room wall collapse - Sep 14, 2011
- One dead as Himachal building collapses - Jul 11, 2011
- Seven die in Pakistan school roof collapse - May 07, 2012
- Building collapse toll is five, 16 critical (Second Lead) - Jul 17, 2011
- Building collapses in Ahmedabad, two killed - Jan 28, 2011
- Himachal building collapse: Owner, builder held (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Four killed in Mumbai building collapse - Mar 17, 2011
- Mumbai Metro accident: One killed, 11 injured (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: anxious parents, building collapse, construction workers, cutters, debris, fire services department, grammar school, labour minister, police commissioner, private hospital, private school, rs 200, slabs, television channels, venkata, wards