Seven killed as school building collapses in HaitiNovember 8th, 2008 - 5:02 am ICT by IANS
Port-au-Prince, Nov 8 (DPA) At least seven people, including several children, died when a school building collapsed Friday in the Petion Ville suburb of Haitian capital Port-au-Prince, while an unspecified number were injured, Haitian Radio Metropole reported.The Evangelical Promise school in the area of Nerette collapsed at around 10 a.m. Friday, with some 700 students inside, the report said. The three-storey building had students from kindergarten to middle school.
The children were in their classrooms at the time of the collapse, Michaele Gedeon, president of Haiti’s Red Cross told CNN. “The whole school collapsed on the kids,” she said.
The cause of the collapse was not known.
“We are having difficulty removing students from the rubble because we don’t have heavy duty search-and-rescue equipment,” said Alex Claudon, also of the Red Cross. He said the number of casualties could be very high.
Gedeon wasn’t at the site, but said she could hear rescuers calming down injured students as she coordinated emergency efforts over the phone.
“On the phone you can hear so many children crying … and saying, ‘This one is dead, that one is dead’,” Gedeon told CNN.
- Haiti school building collapse toll touches 30 (Lead) - Nov 08, 2008
- 30 killed as school building collapses in Haiti (Second Lead) - Nov 08, 2008
- Haiti building collapse toll rises to 84 - Nov 09, 2008
- Quake destroys homes, damages public buildings in Haiti - Jan 13, 2010
- Tens of thousands feared dead in Haitian earthquake (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- Hundreds feared dead in massive earthquake in Haiti (Third Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- Massive earthquake devastates Haiti (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- U.S. missionaries in Haiti charged for kidnapping - Feb 05, 2010
- Thousands feared killed as massive quake hits Haiti (Fourth Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- United Nations plans on re-opening schools in Haiti in April - Feb 13, 2010
- Report: Americans injured in Port-au-Prince incident - Jan 18, 2010
- 27 dead in Haiti truck crash - Apr 09, 2012
- Thousands in Haiti capital's streets amid death, destruction - Jan 14, 2010
- Violence erupts after presidential elections in Haiti - Dec 09, 2010
- 10 kids rescued from Haitian human smuggler - Jul 28, 2011