Seven killed as bomb explodes in Bihar (Second Lead)November 21st, 2010 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Nov 21 (IANS) At least seven people, mostly children, were killed and around half a dozen seriously injured Sunday morning when a cylinder bomb exploded at Pachokhar village in Bihar’s Aurangabad district, police said.
The bomb was recovered during the final phase of the Bihar assembly polls Saturday but the police had failed to defuse it. On Sunday morning, villagers gathered to see the bomb when it suddenly exploded, killing seven people and injuring many, a police officer said.
The bomb was planted by Maoists to disrupt the polls, he added.
“The casualties may go up as some of those seriously injured are battling for life,” Bihar police chief Neelmani told IANS over the telephone.
Expressing shock, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar ordered a probe into the incident and asked top officials to submit a report by Sunday evening.
The state government has announced a compensation of Rs.1 lakh each to the victim’s families.
Neelmani said that the policemen found guilty of carelessness will be punished. “Strict action will be taken against guilty policemen for their carelessness,” he said.
Angry villagers blamed the police for being careless and leaving the bomb that was not defused.
Hundreds of villagers staged a protest when the district magistrate and superintendent of police reached the village and demanded action against the policemen responsible for the accident.
- Seven killed in Bihar bomb explosion (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Seven killed as bomb explodes in Bihar village - Nov 21, 2010
- Bomb explosion kills seven in Bihar - Nov 21, 2010
- Over 50 percent turnout in Bihar poll final phase, two cops killed (Night Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Maoists engineer blast in Gaya, two killed - Nov 20, 2010
- Tenth round of Bihar panchayat polls under way - May 18, 2011
- Nearly 25 percent voting in Bihar polls (Third Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Over 50 percent voting in final phase of Bihar polls (Fourth Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Maoist fear: Bihar panchayat polls postponed in five districts - May 17, 2011
- Bihar holds second phase of panchayat polls - Apr 24, 2011
- Maoists extend deadline for abducted Bihar cops (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- Sporadic violence mars Bihar's panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- Time is running out for four abducted Bihar cops - Sep 01, 2010
- After hostage crisis, Nitish seeks central forces for polls - Sep 06, 2010
- No trace of missing Bihar poll officials - May 16, 2011
Tags: angry villagers, assembly polls, aurangabad district, bihar police, carelessness, casualties, chief minister, district magistrate, district police, final phase, half a dozen, maoists, nitish kumar, police chief, police officer, policemen, rs 1, state government, strict action, sunday evening