Seven injured in grenade blast inside Sri Lankan prisonAugust 29th, 2008 - 11:14 am ICT by IANS
Colombo, Aug 29 (IANS) At least seven prisoners were injured when a powerful grenade exploded inside a prison in Sri Lanka’s eastern Batticaloa district Friday morning, police said here.Police spokesman, Senior Superintendent of Police Ranjith Gunasekara, said the grenade explosion took place in room number 10 of the Batticaloa prison Friday morning, injuring seven inmates, including four members of the Eelam People’s Democratic Party (EPDP), a former militant group.
“Police and prison authorities are carrying out a major search operation in the Batticaloa prison,” Gunasekara said.
EPDP officials in Colombo accused a rival Tamil party, which was also involved in terrorism earlier, for the attack and said their cadres were seriously wounded in the attack.
The EPDP, led by minister Douglas Devananda, is a coalition partner of the ruling United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
- Sri Lankan minister goes home, Indian court to hear arrest plea Monday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- High court to hear plea to arrest Sri Lankan minister - Jun 11, 2010
- Sri Lanka's ruling party wins local council polls - Sep 09, 2012
- Court notice to centre and Tamil Nadu in Devananda case - Jun 14, 2010
- Sri Lankan Minister Devananda faced charges in Indian Court - Jun 10, 2010
- Sri Lankan minister says all political leaders pardoned in 1987 (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
- Taliban attack Pakistani jail, nearly 400 escape - Apr 15, 2012
- Fonseka supporter killed in Sri Lanka - Jan 12, 2010
- Sri Lankan president orders security for Nasheed's wife - Feb 11, 2012
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- President Rajapaksa's brother elected new speaker of parliament - Apr 22, 2010
- Eelam dreams only hurting Tamils: Sri Lankan minister (Interview) - Jun 12, 2010
- Mob destroys private radio, TV station in Sri Lanka - Jul 30, 2010
- Shutdown in Jaffna to protest LTTE attack on merchant ships (Lead) - Oct 23, 2008
- My life is under threat: Sri Lankan ex-army chief - Jun 10, 2012