Seven injured in cylinder blasts in MeghalayaJuly 20th, 2011 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, July 20 (IANS) Seven people were injured, two of them critically, in twin LPG cylinder blasts Wednesday at two cafes here in Meghalaya, police said.
The first blast occurred inside Banana Leaf Cafe kitchen around 2.15 p.m. and 15 minutes later another cylinder exploded inside a kitchen at Madras Cafe in Police Bazaar.
Police ruled out the possibility of involvement of any rebel group in the explosions.
“We have completely ruled out the possibility of a bomb blast or the involvement of GNLA (Garo National Liberation Army) in it, but we are not ruling out the possibility of foul play,” said A.R. Mawthoh, district police chief of East Khasi Hills.
Preliminary investigations indicate the cylinders exploded due to gas leakage, he said.
A mangled gas cylinder from Madras Cafe has been seized, while police are searching for the gas cylinder that exploded at Banana Leaf.
Meanwhile, a team of Forensic Scientific Laboratory (FSL) officials has examined the explosion sites and police have questioned Raja Ratnam, the owner of the two cafes.
The injured, all staffers, have been admitted to hospitals.
Incidentally, the two explosions occurred after the military-wing chief of GNLA, Sohan D. Shira, threatened to trigger serial blasts across Meghalaya.
- Two people injured in bomb explosion - May 02, 2012
- Fierce gunfight between Garo rebels, commandos - Jan 28, 2012
- Meghalaya Police announce reward for catching GNLA rebels - Apr 28, 2012
- GNLA commander escapes arrest - Jan 27, 2012
- Garo rebels to surrender in Meghalaya - Apr 27, 2011
- GNLA sets conditions to free abducted engineers - Jan 28, 2012
- Kidnapped engineers untraced, GNLA chief escapes (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Three killed in Kashmir gas cylinder explosion (Third Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 'Link between Meghalaya rebel group, student activists' - Sep 04, 2011
- 'Electification projects on in Garo Hills' - Jan 30, 2012
- Three Meghalaya rebels nabbed - Nov 25, 2011
- Militant hideout busted in Meghalaya - Dec 12, 2010
- Meghalaya governor's aide accused of molestation - Jan 23, 2012
- Operation launched to nab fugitive Meghalaya militants - Sep 27, 2010
- More Garo rebels to surrender: Meghalaya home minister - Dec 20, 2010