Seven injured in communal clash in Uttar PradeshMarch 10th, 2009 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 10 (IANS) At least seven people were injured, three critically, as Hindus and Muslims clashed Tuesday during a religious procession in Uttar Pradesh’s Bareilly district, the police said.
Several vehicles and at least half a dozen shops were set on fire in the violence, a police officer said.
“The incident took place in Faridpur area as Muslims taking out the Barawafat procession entered the area,” police inspector Kalyan Singh told IANS.
“Members of both communities started throwing stones due to which seven people were injured. Tensions escalated as the warring groups set several vehicles and six shops on fire,” he added.
The injured are being treated at a government hospital in Bareilly, where the condition of three is stated to be critical, police said.
Additional police force, Rapid Action Force (RAF) and Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) have been deployed in the area, district police chief B.B. Singh told IANS.
- One killed, seven injured in Uttar Pradesh communal clash (Lead) - Mar 11, 2009
- One killed in Bareilly violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 50 held for Uttar Pradesh communal clash - Aug 10, 2011
- Bareilly violence kills one, curfew on - Jul 23, 2012
- Students clash with police in Allahabad, torch vehicles - Apr 27, 2012
- ITBP aspirants go on rampage, torch buses, damage shops (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- Police put on high alert after violence in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 18, 2012
- Security beefed up in Uttar Pradesh ahead of Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- 36 arrested for Bareilly riots - Aug 18, 2010
- Security beefed up in Uttar Pradesh for Barawafat festival - Feb 15, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in Bareilly - Mar 16, 2010
- 20 injured as lawyers, officials clash - Mar 01, 2011
- Bareilly remains tense after 12 days of curfew - Mar 13, 2010
- 15 injured in Uttar Pradesh violence - Mar 12, 2010
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012