Seven get bail in Adarsh scamMay 29th, 2012 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 29 (IANS) A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court Tuesday granted bail to seven of the nine people arrested for their alleged involvement in the Adarsh Housing Society scam in March and April.
The seven accused are Maj. Gen. (retd) A.R. Kumar, Maj. Gen. (retd) T.K. Kaul, retired defence estates officer R.C. Thakur, Brig. (retd) M.M. Wanchoo, former IAS officers P.V. Deshmukh and Pradeep Vyas and former Congress politician Kanhaiyalal Gidwani.
The bail was granted on a surety of Rs.50,000 each.
All the accused had sought bail on the ground that CBI had not filed a chargesheet even 60 days after arresting them. The central probe agency claimed it had 30 more days to act.
The CBI had Monday opposed bail to the seven accused stating that it was examining additional stringent charges which could be slapped on them and that it had 90 days to file the chargesheet and not 60 as claimed by the accused.
Over a year after the CBI registered a case against 14 persons in the scam and two months after making the first of nine arrests, the agency is likely to add two new charges against the accused.
Many top army officials and politicians, including former Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan, are alleged to have facilitated clearances for the building and received flats in it as quid pro quo.
The scam involves a prime plot in South Mumbai’s Colaba area on which a 31-storey building was constructed by the society.
- Two accused apply for bail in Adarsh Society scam - Jun 04, 2012
- Seven get bail in Adarsh scam (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Judicial custody of nine accused extended - Apr 30, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Court rejects bail plea of 9 accused - Apr 21, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Two sent to CBI custody till April 30 - Apr 17, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Court rejects bail plea of accused (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Two get bail in Adarsh scam - Jun 07, 2012
- Four more arrests in Adarsh housing scam - Mar 21, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Bail plea of seven accused rejected (Second Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Two detained for interrogation - Apr 03, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Four more accused sent to CBI custody - Mar 22, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Two bureaucrats remanded to CBI custody (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Two more arrested, judicial custody for seven accused (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Four get bail in Adarsh housing scam (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Three arrested, more likely - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: army officials, ashok, brig, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, chavan, colaba, defence estates, deshmukh, housing society, kaul, maharashtra chief minister, politician, pradeep, prime plot, rs 50, south mumbai, surety, thakur, vyas