Seven engineering students arrested in West BengalNovember 6th, 2008 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 6 (IANS) Seven students of the Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU) at Shibpur in West Bengal’s Howrah district were arrested Thursday after a clash between two student groups over upcoming college elections, the police said.The arrests were made after a pitched battle between members of the Students Federation Of India (SFI), which is affiliated to the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), and the Independent Consolidation (IC), district Superintendent of Police N.K. Singh told reporters.
Police used batons to disperse the clashing students and the Rapid Action Force (RAF) was called to control the situation, Singh added.
According to a BESU official, some members of the two groups, who stay at the same hostel, had a verbal quarrel Wednesday night.
“It soon turned into a scuffle. The scuffle broke out again Thursday morning. More members of the student groups from outside joined the clash and the situation worsened,” the official said.
BESU registrar Biman Bandopadhyay said students have been asked to vacate the hostel.
- Six Bengal students punished over Facebook ragging - Aug 04, 2011
- Bengal students ragged on Facebook - Aug 03, 2011
- After campus clashes, three students in police custody - Nov 07, 2008
- Four members of Trinamool's student wing held - Dec 17, 2010
- Student clashes: Court gives directions to Himachal varsity - Jun 21, 2012
- Campus violence should stop: Buddhadeb - Dec 19, 2010
- Student's clash: Congress calls strike in Tripura - May 22, 2011
- Trinamool, CPI-M blame each other for student's death - Dec 17, 2010
- Four students hurt in Himachal varsity clash - Jul 07, 2010
- Trinamool holds rally with supporter's corpse - Dec 20, 2010
- Presidency University student alleges harassment by seniors - Jan 21, 2012
- Left, Trinamool student activists clash in West Bengal district - Oct 27, 2010
- Poll panel team discusses security with Bengal district officials (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- One injured in students' clash - Feb 19, 2011
- Extortionist held in West Bengal - Dec 21, 2010