Seven children killed in bus-train collision in FranceJune 3rd, 2008 - 8:53 am ICT by IANS
Paris, June 3 (DPA) Seven schoolchildren were killed Monday when a regional train slammed into their schoolbus in the Upper Savoy region of southeast France, local police said. In addition, 25 people were injured in the accident, which occurred at a level crossing near Mesinges, on the railway line between Annemasse and Thonon-les-Bains. Three of the injured were said to be in grave condition.
All of the injured were taken to hospitals in Thonon-les-Bains and Geneva, a spokeswoman for the local Upper Savoy government said.
Catherine Dufour, a local secretary for a firm located 50 metres from the site of the crash, told the web site of the weekly Le Point, “At about 2 pm I heard a very loud noise. I looked out of the window and I saw the bus cut in two.”
Another witness said that the bus looked to have been trapped between the gates of the crossing.
The bus was transporting 50 students between 11 and 13 years of age and six adults on a school trip to the picturesque medieval village of Yvoire on Lake Geneva near Thonon-les-Bains.
The students were all from a school in Thonon-les-Bains, where fellow students and teachers were said to be in a state of shock, the web site of the daily Le Figaro reported.
Commenting on the accident, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said in Paris, “Each of us is thinking about the children, the adults, whoever the victims are. Unfortunately, we can do nothing but hope there will be as few victims as possible.”
The cause of the accident remained unclear. First indications were that the gates at the level crossing had been functioning normally.
Interior Minister Michele Alliot-Marie and the the junior minister for transportattion, Dominique Bussereau, traveled to the scene of the accident.
- Sarkozy pays tribute to schoolchildren killed in collision - Jun 03, 2008
- Schoolbus driver killed, 19 students hurt in accident - Aug 12, 2010
- Four children killed as school bus-train collide - Jul 30, 2012
- Six dead in Argentina metro, bus collision - Sep 13, 2011
- 28 Belgians die in Swiss bus accident (Third Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- 22 children killed in Switzerland bus accident (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Belgium declares day of mourning after bus crash - Mar 15, 2012
- Accidents kills six in Assam - May 23, 2012
- 28 Belgians die in Swiss bus accident (Evening Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Two people killed in West Bengal accident - Mar 25, 2011
- One killed, nine injured in Delhi bus accident - May 08, 2011
- Nine killed in Poland bus-train collision - Jul 31, 2012
- Five killed in road accident in Kanpur - Jul 25, 2012
- Three students killed as bus overturns in Andhra - Jan 27, 2011
- 25 hurt as school bus overturns - Sep 29, 2011