Seven beaten up in Jharkhand for suspected occult ritualMay 21st, 2008 - 2:43 pm ICT by admin
Ranchi, May 21 (IANS) Seven people including a woman were brutally beaten near a Jharkhand village as local residents suspected them of carrying out an occult ritual. According to local media reports Wednesday, about ten people reached Hundru waterfall Tuesday near Sikidiri village, around 70 km from Ranchi. Their luggage included two goats and three hens.
They started chanting hymns and performed rituals, the media reports said, adding that 50-60 villagers gathered there and asked the people what they were up to. Then, the villagers suspected the group were performing an occult ritual and started beating them, the reports said. Three members of the group managed to escape.
“They had come to dump a ghost in our village,” Sohan Mahto, a local resident, was quoted as saying. “In the past, we witnessed a similar thing and the villagers had to face many problems. This time we caught them and chased them away.”
Some villagers believe certain occult rituals ensure that ghosts are confined to a particular spot. Sacrificing animals is a part of the ritual.
“The presence of a ghost in the village is a bad omen for us. Villagers dump the ghost to other places so that no bad thing takes place,” said Manohar Munda, another villager.
- Goats killed in 'satanic ritual' in Britain - May 15, 2011
- 25 school students injured as bus overturns - Feb 01, 2011
- Maoists kill four in Jharkhand - Nov 19, 2010
- Soaring heat dries up ponds, waterfalls in Jharkhand - Apr 19, 2010
- Munda faces tough by-poll as campaigning ends - Feb 08, 2011
- Will it be Bond versus Goa's waterfall deity? - Sep 15, 2011
- Jharkhand leaders violate land law? - Feb 18, 2012
- Tribals ostracise woman for ploughing - Jul 29, 2011
- Jharkand legislator dies of heart attack - Sep 27, 2011
- Munda, wife discharged from hospital - May 17, 2012
- U.P villagers fear blooming bamboo flowers a bad omen - Jun 17, 2010
- Four killed in Assam, witchcraft suspected - Jun 21, 2011
- Resentment in JMM over Rajya Sabha candidate - Apr 18, 2012
- Tribals in Jharkhand celebrate Mansa festival - Aug 18, 2010
- Munda lays foundation stone for Deoghar airport - Jul 17, 2012