Servant behind Niti Bagh murders nabbedJune 17th, 2008 - 8:49 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 16 (IANS) The Delhi Police has solved the sensational murder of an elderly couple in Niti Bagh with the arrest of their 19-year-old servant from Kolkata. Aukil alias Mukesh Yadav, a resident of Bihar, was nabbed June 13 in Kolkata on a tip off from sources, police said Monday. He had been absconding after the May 26 murder of Ashok Goel, 65, and his wife Lata Goel, 58, in their Niti Bagh home.
A mobile phone, a gold necklace along with other ornaments were recovered from Aukil, the police said.
Police were informed during investigations that Aukil’s cousin, Ghanshyam alias Raju Yadav, was seen with him a day before the crime.
During interrogation, Ghanshyam disclosed his involvement in the murder.
Blood stained clothes, a blood stained knife, cash worth Rs.8,700 and some jewellery were recovered from Ghanshyam. Several raids were conducted at his native village, where robbed jewellery, silver pots and wrist watches were recovered from his house.
On interrogation, Aukil disclosed that he came from a poor family and was lured by the financial affluence of the elderly couple. He facilitated the entry of Ghanshyam and as planned, stabbed and slit the throat of the victims. After committing the murder, they ransacked the house and ran away with the valuables, scaling the boundary wall.
The couple had employed the servant after due verification.
The capital has recently witnessed a spate of violent crimes targeting elderly people. In a number of cases, domestic helps have been suspected.
On May 15, B.D. Sharma, a 68-year-old former Air India employee, was stabbed to death by his nephew for money. Both his sons are settled abroad.
On May 11, a 70-year-old woman was found murdered in south Delhi, while an interior designer and his son were drugged in southwest Delhi. Domestic helps were suspected to be behind the crimes in both cases. Police verification of the servants, who are absconding, had not been done.
Last year, 16 senior citizens were killed in the capital. The toll is 13 this year so far.
- Cousin held for siblings' murder (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- 85-year old woman, servant murdered - Jan 03, 2012
- Get servants verified: Delhi Police - May 12, 2011
- Man kills NRI wife, burns body - Nov 12, 2011
- Former maid, paramour arrested for robbing French national's house - Apr 22, 2012
- Delhi BJP worker killed, party councillor arrested (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Six skeletons found in missing starlet's villa (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- BKI terrorists sent to custody till Jan 2 (third lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Servant, four others, held for looting house - May 04, 2011
- Two Babbar Khalsa terrorists arrested (second lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- More cash, jewellery comes out of Fiza's lockers - Sep 13, 2012
- Teenager held for murder in Delhi - Dec 24, 2010
- Jeweller's employee held for helping robbers - Dec 22, 2010
- Two held for Uttar Pradesh cop's killing - Oct 27, 2011
- Father, son arrested for four murders - Jan 17, 2012