Separatists call for peaceful protests FridaySeptember 3rd, 2008 - 10:51 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Sep 3 (IANS) The joint coordination committee of both the Hurriyat groups Wednesday asked Kashmiris to hold peaceful protests Friday and observe a shutdown in the Kashmir Valley the next day.The committee made the appeal after a three-hour meeting of the Hurriyat groups headed by Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umer Farooq at the Mirwaiz Manzil in the old city of Srinagar.
“After Friday prayers, people would hold peaceful protests for half hour in their areas. There would be no shutdown Friday,” it said.
“This would be followed by a complete valley-wide protest shutdown Saturday,” it said. The statement said that there would be no shutdown Sunday.
Contrary to expectations here that the coordination committee would announce a separatist march to Lal Chowk, the city centre, the decision is seen as a mild reaction to the agreement under which the government has made available land for the use of the board that oversses the Amarnath Hindu shrine.
The coordination committee, with representatives from both the separatist Hurriyat groups, was formed here in the wake of massive protests against the alleged economic blockade of the valley by protesters in Jammu region demanding the restoration of forest land to the Amarnath board.
People living in Srinagar and other parts of the Kashmir Valley are still experiencing shortages of many essential supplies including food, edible oils, cooking gas, vegetables, fruits and kerosene oil.
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- Autonomy no solution to Kashmir problem: Mirwaiz Farooq - Aug 13, 2010
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Curfew in Srinagar areas to prevent protests - Oct 26, 2010
- 'Kashmiri separatists not taking part in assembly polls' - May 03, 2012
- Separatist shutdown affects life in Srinagar - May 21, 2011
- Shabir Shah arrested, Mirwaiz free to move around (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Jammu, Kashmir lock horns over Amarnath infrastructure - Aug 23, 2012
- Separatist leaders put under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 27, 2012
- Geelani, Shabir Shah placed under house arrest - Jul 29, 2011
- No plans to construct motorable road to Amarnath shrine: Kashmir - Aug 19, 2012
- Chidambaram condemns attack on Mirwaiz's aide, says quiet peace dialogue to continue - Dec 05, 2009
- Srinagar shuts to protest religious leader's killing - Apr 09, 2011
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Geelani under house arrest - Jun 10, 2011