Separate trial for mentally ill Diwali bombing accusedApril 10th, 2008 - 8:46 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 10 (IANS) A city court Thursday ordered a separate trial of Gulam Ahmed Khan, one of the accused in the 2005 Diwali eve bombings in Delhi that killed over 60 people, after a medical report said he was mentally ill. Additional Sessions Judge Babulal ordered a separate trial after the court considered Khan’s medical report which said he required treatment for his mental illness. Last month the court had pulled up the Tihar Jail authorities for not submitting Khan’s medical report.
Khan was admitted to the Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences Feb 29 and kept under observation. The court could not frame charges against Khan after he moved an application in court that he was medically unfit to face trial.
Charges have been framed against four other accused in the case.
Tariq Ahmed Dar, the alleged mastermind of the bombings, has been booked under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) Section 121 (waging or attempting to wage war against the government of India), 121-A (conspiracy to commit offences for waging war), 122 (collecting arms for waging war), 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), Section 4 of the Explosives Substance Act and Sections 17 and 18 of the Unlawful Activities Act.
The other three accused - Mohammed Rafiq Shah, Mohammed Hussain Fazli, and Farooq Ahmed Batloo - have been booked under IPC sections 120-B, 307, 302 and also Section 4 of the Explosive Substances Act.
Three blasts rocked the national capital Oct 29, 2005, at the packed Sarojini Nagar market, Pahargunj market and in a DTC bus in Govindpuri - killing over 60 people and injuring over 100.
- Charges framed against 13 in Delhi blasts of 2008 - May 06, 2011
- 2008 Delhi serial blast: 11 accused fail to appear in court (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- 2008 Delhi serial blasts: Court to frame charges Feb 21 (Second lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Delhi serial blasts: Charges to be framed Feb 21 (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- 2008 Delhi serial blasts: 11 accused fail to appear in court - Feb 21, 2011
- Charges framed against Delhi blast accused - May 17, 2008
- NIA seeks stricter charges against Delhi blast accused - Sep 18, 2012
- Delhi High Court blast: Court to frame charges Oct 1 - Sep 21, 2012
- Bail plea of Delhi bombing accused rejected - May 20, 2008
- Delhi HC blast: Court to frame charges Sep 18 (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Batla House shootout: Court paves way for trial (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Court asks for medical report of Delhi blasts accused - Mar 04, 2008
- American Centre attack: Supreme Court stays Ansari death sentence (Second Lead) - May 25, 2010
- Staged shootout: Charges framed against Rajasthan IPS officer - May 01, 2012
- Warrants against five in 1981 plane hijacking - Aug 31, 2012