Sensitive military data missing again in BritainOctober 10th, 2008 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 10 (IANS) In the latest incident of security breach in Britain, a computer drive containing information about a large number of British armed forces personnel is missing, the Ministry of Defence said Friday, The Independent daily reported.The portable drive contains personal details of about 100,000 serving officers of the army, navy and air force, and their relatives.
The ministry said the theft came to their knowledge Wednesday and MoD police were investigating.
In July, the ministry admitted that 26 portable memory sticks containing classified information were untraceable. More than 600 laptops containing classified information went missing over the past four years.
Liberal Democrat shadow defence secretary Nick Harvey said: “This is an extremely serious news and the immediate priority must be to ensure the security of all military personnel”.
Harvey also demanded an urgent investigation into the “disturbing” breach of security.
- British Defence Ministry loses 100 computers, 47 pen drives in 2009 - Nov 11, 2009
- More UK Defence Ministrys secret computer files go missing - Jul 19, 2008
- UK Royal Navy left 'red faced' after website infiltrated by Romanian hacker - Nov 09, 2010
- Adarsh society plot belongs to government, says judicial panel (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- UK's "Abu Ghraib" in dock over 'brutal mistreatment' of Iraqi prisoners - Nov 06, 2010
- UK defence ministry now loses 200 PCs and memory sticks - Nov 25, 2008
- WikiLeaks to release 400,000 US intelligence files - Oct 18, 2010
- British Special Forces laptop containing top-secret files goes missing - Apr 13, 2009
- NASA loses command codes to control space station - Mar 02, 2012
- Now, UK Defence Ministry loses hard drive with troop and family details - Oct 10, 2008
- Afghanistan, US sign deal on night raids - Apr 09, 2012
- When thieves stole truck carrying Obama's teleprompter! - Oct 19, 2011
- British Government has lost a laptop every single day over seven years! - Dec 29, 2008
- Six British soldiers feared killed in Afghanistan blast - Mar 07, 2012
- Carry condoms, British women soldiers told - May 16, 2010