Sensex tanks 223 points, Infosys down 9 percentJuly 12th, 2012 - 2:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 12 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was Wednesday trading 223 points lower in afternoon trade after IT bellwether Infosys issued weak revenue guidance for the financial year ending March 2013.
Infosys said revenue for financial year 2012-13 would grow 5 percent year on year to $7.34 billion as against $7.6 billion projected at the beginning of this fiscal, with 9 percent year on year growth as per the International Financial Reporting Standards.
There was selling pressure in IT, telecom, media and realty stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) opened at 17,297.06 points and was trading at 17,265.55 points, down 1.28 percent or 223.59 points from its previous close at 17,489.14 points.
BSE mid-cap was down 44.75 points and small cap was down by 52.09 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also was trading at 5,245.20 points, down 1.15 percent.
The BSE IT index was down 320.40 points, while the TECk index, which includes sectors such as media and telecom, was down 155.79 points and the realty index 24.10 points down respectively.
Infosys was the biggest Sensex loser, down 9.06 percent at Rs.2,242.90.
The other major Sensex losers were Wipro, down 4.22 percent at Rs.358.40; Bharti Airtel, down 2.04 percent at Rs.309.40; TCS, down 2.04 percent at Rs.1,233.15; and Mahindra and Mahindra, down 1.56 percent at Rs.721.55.
The major Sensex gainers were Hindustan Unilever, up 1.20 percent at Rs.446.60; ONGC, up 0.95 percent at Rs.280.85; Hero MotoCorp, up 0.51 percent at Rs.2,051; Cipla, up 0.42 percent at Rs.325.65; and Gail India, up 0.35 percent at Rs.359.15.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was down 1.48 percent, Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was down by 1.62 percent while China’s Shanghai Composite index was up 0.54 percent.
- Sensex down 37 points, oil and gas, auto stocks fall (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex dips 257 points; Infosys, Wipro slump (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex up 76.94 points (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex extends losses on week European cues (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 22 points down (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; oil and gas, auto stocks fall (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex falls on global economic growth worries - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex down 119 points; consumer durable, auto stocks fall - May 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 204 points down amid negative global cues (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2011
Tags: afternoon trade, asian markets, bellwether, benchmark index, bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, cipla, financial reporting standards, international financial reporting standards, mahindra and mahindra, national stock exchange, ongc, realty stocks, revenue guidance, rs 2, sensex, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, year 2012, year ending march