Sensex tanks 120 points, metal, capital goods stocks downSeptember 5th, 2012 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 5 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was trading 120 points lower in afternoon trade Wednesday on weak Asian cues. Metal, capital goods and banking stocks were the worst performers.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,359.96 points, was ruling at 17,320.05 points, 0.69 percent or 120.82 points down from its previous day’s close at 17,440.87 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,411.67 points and a low of 17,250.80 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.82 percent down at 5,230.75 points.
On the sectoral front, the BSE metal index was down 200.53 points, capital goods index was down 166.62 points and the banking index was down 152.92 points.
The main Sensex losers were BHEL, down 3.75 percent at Rs.210.70; Jindal Steel, down 3.67 percent at Rs.339.90; Sterlite Inds, down 2.86 percent at Rs.93.50; Tata Steel, down 2.59 percent at Rs.353.70; and ICICI Bank, down 2.53 percent at Rs.888.95.
The major gainers were Bharti Airtel, up 2.82 percent at Rs.256.70; Hindustan Unilever, up 1.02 percent at Rs.526.60; HDFC, up 0.73 percent at Rs.727.60; and ITC, up 0.38 percent at Rs.267.25.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was down 1.09 percent while Shanghai’s composite index was trading 0.29 percent lower. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was down 1.27 percent.
- Sensex rises 120 points; auto, metal stocks up (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex at seven-month high, closes 139 points higher (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- Sensex closes almost 95 points up (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 100 points; TCS, Wipro surge - Apr 24, 2012
- Sensex down 43 points, IT stocks fall - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 95 points up as inflation dips (Roundup) - Aug 14, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex crosses 18,000 points on positive European cues (Roundup) - Sep 12, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex rises 63 points; banking, metal stocks up - Aug 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 38 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, airtel, asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, capital goods, composite index, gainers, hang seng, hdfc, inds, itc, metal index, national stock exchange, nikkei, sensex, sensitive index, tata steel, unilever