Sensex slides 190.89 points; auto, bank stocks downMay 31st, 2012 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 31 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets was trading 190.89 points down around 12.30 p.m. Thursday, led by selling pressure in auto, bank and capital goods stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in the negative at 16,224.86 points, was ruling at 16,121.26 points — 190.89 points or 1.17 percent down from its previous close at 16,312.15 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,224.86 points and low of 16,086.06 points in the intra-day trade. This was the second consecutive day that Sensex was down.
The wide-based 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also was ruling 55.25 points or 1.12 percent lower at 4,895.50 points.
There was a heavy buying pressure on auto, bank and capital goods stocks. Auto index was down 170.83 points, followed by bank index down 150.21 points, and capital goods fell by 137.55 points.
Major Sensex losers included ICICI Bank, down 31.75 points at Rs.785.25; Maruti Suzuki, down 39.90 points at Rs.1,111; Tata Motors, down 7.85 points at Rs.235.50; Reliance Industries (RIL), down 20.45 points at Rs.685.75; and Sterlite Inds, down 2.15 points at Rs.93.10.
Only eight of the 30 Sensex scrips were in positive. These included Hindalco, up 1.75 points at Rs.116.10; NTPC, up 2 points at Rs.147.05; Cipla, up 3.35 points at Rs.309.70; Coal India, up 2.20 points at Rs.321.65; and Tata Power, up 0.50 points at Rs.94.85.
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 154 points; auto, tech stocks climb - Oct 24, 2011
- Sensex closes 18 points down (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex falls below 17,000 points (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Sensex slides 188.12 points, oil and gas, capital goods stocks down (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Sensex up 222.60 points in noon trade - May 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 100 points; auto, IT stocks rally - May 29, 2012
- Sensex down 127 points, IT stocks hit (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Sensex, Nifty close in red on poor GDP numbers (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Sensex trades flat, auto, banking stocks down (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Sensex down 26.45 points on selling pressure - May 22, 2012
- Sensex falls 86 points on profit booking - Jun 08, 2012
- Sensex pares losses, ends 26 points down (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 80 points up, on SBI and rupee shows (Lead) - May 18, 2012
Tags: auto bank, auto index, bank index, bank stocks, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, cipla, coal india, hindalco, inds, national stock exchange, ntpc, reliance industries, ril, sensex, sensitive index, sterlite, tata motors, tata power