Sensex in green, hovering around 9,000-mark (Lead)February 19th, 2009 - 1:31 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 19 (IANS) Indian equities were in positive terrain a little before noon Thursday, with a key index hovering around the psychologically important 9,000-mark.
The 30-scrip Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) sensitive index (Sensex), which opened at 9,034.9 points, was at 9,059.66 points, 44.88 points or 0.49 percent up from its previous close.
At the same time, the S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) was at 2,796.85 points, 0.75 percent higher than its previous close at 2,776.15.
The BSE midcap index was 0.73 percent higher, while the BSE smallcap index was up 0.58 percent.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on the BSE, only the FMCG index was in negative territory.
Among gainers on the Sensex at this time were Mahindra and Mahindra (up 3.67 percent at Rs.295), Grasim (up 3.56 percent at Rs.1,389), Wipro (up 3.55 percent at Rs.216.50) and Maruti Suzuki (up 2.22 percent at Rs.631).
The four losing scrips on the Sensex included Hindustan Unilever (down 1.46 percent at Rs.250.05), Larsen and Toubro (down 0.54 percent at Rs.650.50), Infosys (down 0.31 percent at Rs.1,175.05) and Bharti Airtel (down 0.16 percent at Rs.640.20).
In other Asian markets, a key Japanese index, the Nikkei of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, was ruling at 7,571.94 points, 0.5 percent higher than its previous close.
The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, was ruling 0.41 percent below its last close.
In the US, the broader Standard and Poor’s 500 Index was around its previous close slipping a marginal 0.75 points, or 0.1 percent, to close at 788.42 points. The technology-heavy Nasdaq composite index also was down closing at 1,467.97, down 2.69 points, or 0.18 percent.
In Europe, the FTSE 100 index of Britain closed 0.68 percent down, at 4,006.83, while Germany’s DAX shed 11.64 points, or 0.28 percent to end trade at 4,204.96.
The CAC-40 index of France fell 0.04 percent, to 2,874.07 points.
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex falls 59 points as bearish mood prevails (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 87 points as rise in inflation dampens rate cut hopes - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex down 35.68 points, oil and gas stocks fall - May 25, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 37 points; power, FMCG stocks up - Jun 28, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 43 points high (Second lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex remains choppy; ICICI Bank, M&M; rally - Apr 27, 2012
- Sensex closes in red (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2012