Sensex closes 55 points down, realty, banking stocks lower (Lead)August 24th, 2012 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 24 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Friday closed 55 points lower after heavy selling in realty, banking and power stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,790.25 points, closed at 17,795.14 points (provisional), 0.31 percent or 55.08 points down from its previous day’s close at 17,850.22 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,822.50 points and a low of 17,725.42 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.46 percent down at 5,390.40 points.
The BSE realty index was down 38.71 points followed by the banking index, down 137.85 points, and power index, down 13.01 points.
The major Sensex gainers were ONGC, up 2.18 percent at Rs.287.75; Coal India, up 2.12 percent at Rs.366.40, Sterlite Inds, up 0.90 percent at Rs.112.55, Maruti Suzuki, up 0.86 percent at Rs.1,190, and Cipla, up 0.77 percent at Rs.366.50.
The main Sensex losers were Tata Steel, down 2.77 percent at Rs.387.55, Jindal Steel, down 2.46 percent at Rs.397.15, Hindalco Inds, down 1.90 percent at Rs.111.05, ICICI Bank, down 1.84 percent at Rs.955.20; and NTPC, down 1.26 percent at Rs.168.35.
- Sensex closes 51 points higher as August derivatives end (Roundup) - Aug 30, 2012
- Sensex 52 points up; IT, power stocks high (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Rupee weighs on market, Sensex closes 156 points lower (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 81 points higher as August derivatives end (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex 67 points down as bank, capital goods stocks plunge (Roundup) - Aug 24, 2012
- Sensex down 168 points - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex ends 38 points down; Bharti Airtel drops 3.85 percent (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 79 points high (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex tanks 281 points (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Sensex down 26.45 points on selling pressure - May 22, 2012
Tags: benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, cipla, coal india, gainers, inds, losers, national stock exchange, ntpc, power index, power stocks, rs 1, sensex, sensitive index, suzuki, tata steel