Sensex closes 45 points down, realty, oil and gas stocks fall (Lead)September 3rd, 2012 - 6:44 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 3 (IANS) Amid choppy trade, a benchmark index of Indian equities markets Monday closed 45 points lower.
Realty, oil and gas and banking scrips were the worst hit on continuing trade and global economic woes. Government data showed India’s exports slumped 14.8 percent to $22.44 billion in July as compared to $26.34 billion recorded during the corresponding month in 2011 due to lower demands in North America and Europe.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the BSE, which opened at 17,465.60 points, closed at 17,384.40 points, 0.26 percent or 45.16 points down from its previous day’s close at 17,429.56 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,509.99 points and a low of 17,349.57 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also closed 0.09 percent down at 5,253.75 points.
The main Sensex losers included Jindal Steel, down 2.23 percent at Rs.344.45; Tata Power, down 1.91 percent at Rs.97.70; Tata Motors, down 1.24 percent at Rs.230.85; Tata Steel, down 1.23 percent at Rs.358.05; and ONGC, down 1.20 percent at Rs.272.85.
The gainers were Bajaj Auto, up 3.04 percent at Rs.1,664.45; Coal India, up 2.18 percent at Rs.360.45; Cipla, up 1.79 percent at Rs.384.90; Maruti Suzuki, up 1.79 percent at Rs.1,158.95; and BHEL, up 0.98 percent at Rs.216.45.
Other Asian markets closed mixed. Japan’s Nikkei closed 0.63 percent down while Shanghai’s composite index ended 0.57 percent higher. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 0.39 percent up.
At closing bell here, European markets were trading higher. France’s CAC was up 0.57 percent and so was Germany’s DAX, up by 0.42 percent. Britain’s FTSE 100 was up 0.65 percent.
- Sensex closes 74 points down, realty, oil & gas stocks slump - Sep 03, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex down 43 points, IT stocks fall - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex closes 33 points down (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 117 points up, metals gain (Roundup) - Jan 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 66 points down on weak European cues (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points up, realty, oil and gas stocks rise (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex rises 110 points; realty, banking stocks up - Jun 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points higher, realty oil and gas rise (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex down 75 points, Jindal Steel slumps (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Sensex up 75 points, investors take a breather (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2012
- FIIs' buying helps push Indian equities higher (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2011
- Sensex down 40 points, metal, consumer durable stocks falls - Aug 28, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bhel, cipla, closing bell, coal india, composite index, economic woes, european markets, ftse 100, gas stocks, government data, maruti suzuki, national stock exchange, ongc, scrips, sensitive index, tata motors, tata power, tata steel