Sensex climbs 2 percent; realty, auto stocks soarOctober 10th, 2011 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 10 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities soared two percent Monday led by strong buying support in realty, auto, IT and oil and gas stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in the positive at 16,270.07 points, closed at 16,557.23 points, up two percent or 324.69 points from its previous close at 16,232.54 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,595.93 points and the low of 16,230.77 points in the intra-day.
At the National Stock Exchange (NSE), the 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty closed 2.06 percent higher at 4,988.55 points.
Broader markets as well as most sectoral indices also closed in the positive. The BSE midcap index ended the day 1.45 percent higher at 6,045.63 points and the BSE smallcap index closed one percent up at 6,788.56 points.
Among the sectoral indices of the BSE, reality index soared 3.29 percent and consumer durables index rose three percent. IT and oil and gas indices closed with gains of nearly three percent.
Tata Motors soared 6.8 percent at Rs.169.60. Tata Power surged 5.03 percent at Rs.103.30. DLF, up 4.99 percent at Rs.229.35; Wipro, up 4.61 percent at Rs.349.20; Bajaj Auto, up 3.81 percent at Rs.1,561.10; and Sterlite Inds, up 3.66 percent at Rs.117.60 were among the other prominent gainers.
Only five of the 30 Sensex scrips closed in the red. Maruti Suzuki slumped 3.58 percent at Rs.1,073.20 on concerns over complicating labour problems.
- Sensex hovers near 16,600; metal, auto stocks rally - Jan 19, 2012
- Sensex continues to trade lacklustre, RIL soars (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex closes dull, IT, metal stocks lose (Second Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex gives up gains, traders book profits - Oct 11, 2011
- Sensex closes 302 points higher (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Markets rise on CRR cut, Sensex closes tad below 17,000 (Third Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 100 points; auto, IT stocks rally - May 29, 2012
- RIL soars but fails to enthuse Sensex (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex rises 1.3 percent; Rcom, ICICI Bank soar (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Sensex closes 43 points high (Second lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 47 points; capital goods, power stocks up - Jun 20, 2012
- Sensex soars led by auto, IT stocks (Second Lead, correcting HCL quarterly data) - Apr 20, 2011
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex pares Monday losses, closes 288 points up (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Sensex rises 17 points; oil, gas, power stocks up - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: auto stocks, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, consumer durables, dlf, gas stocks, inds, labour problems, maruti suzuki, midcap index, national stock exchange, reality index, sectoral indices, sensitive index, smallcap index, sterlite, tata motors, tata power, wipro