Sensex below 18,000 as selling intensifies (Lead)May 23rd, 2011 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 23 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets was Monday ruling below the 18,000-level as selling intensified across the breadth of the market. Broader markets were also in the red amid negative global cues.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) which opened at 18,269.06 points, was ruling at 17,991.45 points, down 3343.64 points or 1.83 percent from its previous close at 18,326.09 points.
It had fallen to an intra-day low of 17,971 points.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was also trading weak at 5,386.35 points, down 1.84 percent.
Broader markets too were ruling in the negative with the BSE midcap index ruling 1.39 percent down and the BSE smallcap index 1.56 percent down.
Realty, capital goods, power and metal stocks were among major losers at this time.
The market breadth was negative with 703 stocks advancing, 2,046 on the decline and 98 unchanged.
ITC was the sole gainer on the Sensex at this time, while major losers included BHEL, ICICI Bank, Reliance Infra and Tata Motors.
Asian markets ended in the red.
The Nikkei of the Japanese stock exchange closed 1.52 percent lower at 9,460.63 points, while Hong Kong’s Hang Seng ended 2.11 percent down at 22,711.02 points.
The Shanghai Composite index of the Chinese markets also closed in the negative at 2,774.57 points, 2.93 percent down.
- Sensex loses 332 points to close below 18,000 (Roundup) - May 23, 2011
- Sensex loses 340 points to close below 18,000 (Second Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Sensex dips sharply in early trade - May 23, 2011
- Sensex weak, IT, capital goods under selling pressure - Mar 19, 2012
- Sensex subdued in afternoon trade - Jun 06, 2011
- Sensex ruling lower, IT, telecom drag broader markets - Jun 17, 2011
- Sensex in red, energy banking scrips under pressure - Jan 16, 2012
- Sensex down 300 points as profit booking continues unabated - Feb 27, 2012
- Sensex slips into red as IT stocks fall - Jan 12, 2012
- Sensex in red, range-bound (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Indian equities markets flat, capital goods in the red (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Profit booking continues at Indian markets - Feb 23, 2012
- Sensex holds on to gains, but slips from 18,000 - Feb 29, 2012
- Sensex slips from morning highs - Feb 18, 2011
- Sensex slips below 18,000 points - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, capital goods, chinese markets, gainer, hang seng, icici bank, itc, japanese stock, market breadth, metal stocks, national stock exchange, nikkei, realty capital, sensex, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, tata motors