Senior Pentagon official quitsOctober 28th, 2011 - 12:49 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 28 (IANS) A senior Pentagon official has resigned amid accusations of incompetence and abuse of power, the Pentagon announced Thursday.
Clifford Stanley, undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, has submitted his resignation to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, Doug Wilson, assistant secretary of defense for public affairs, said in a statement.
“He (Stanley) felt he had done his utmost to carry out the mandate he was given, and that he had arrived at the point where the next steps could be carried out most effectively by a successor,” the statement said.
“His decision to resign was his own.”
Stanley has been under investigation after the Pentagon inspector general received anonymous letters accusing him of a variety of wrong-doings, reported Xinhua.
The letters alleged that Stanley was “incompetent”, and “created a dysfunctional command marked by fear and mistrust through a capricious, tyrannical and arbitrary leadership”, according to the Project On Government Oversight (POGO) which released the letters in August.
“Waste, fraud and abuse of power are rampant,” the complaints said.
- US military chaplains free to perform same-sex marriages - Oct 01, 2011
- US defence chief slips, calls India a 'threat' - Nov 18, 2011
- US funding for Israeli air defence - May 18, 2012
- Indian American appointed to key Pentagon post - May 02, 2012
- Shooting rampage: US soldier moved out of Afghanistan - Mar 15, 2012
- Brazil asks US for transfer of military technology - Apr 25, 2012
- Obama nominates spy chief Panetta for US secretary of defence - Apr 29, 2011
- US sends armymen to Libya to reopen embassy - Sep 21, 2011
- Ex-NATO commander McChrystal cleared of wrongdoing in Rolling Stone piece - Apr 19, 2011
- Zardari optimistic on ties with US - Jun 10, 2012
- Pentagon policy chief to step down - Dec 13, 2011
- US military investigates abuse video - Jan 14, 2012
- Incompetence aspect being looked into: Salman Bashir - May 05, 2011
- US wants Brazil as defense partner - Apr 26, 2012
- US senators seek sanctions on Russian firm - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: abuse of power, accusations, anonymous letters, assistant secretary, clifford, defense secretary, doings, doug wilson, incompetence, inspector general, leon panetta, mistrust, pentagon, pentagon official, pogo, project on government oversight, resignation, secretary of defense, undersecretary of defense, xinhua