Senior MCD official booked on corruption charges (Lead)March 18th, 2009 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 18 (IANS) A senior official of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) was booked by the anti corruption cell on charges of having demanded Rs.20 million from a south-Delhi based businessman in a land-desealing case.
MCD deputy commissioner Ashok Kumar from Najafgarh zone had allegedly demanded a sum of Rs.20 million from businessman Raghubir Singh for desealing a plot of land in south Delhi, where Singh had intended to construct a motel, a senior official of the Anti-Corruption Bureau Cell of the Delhi government told IANS.
“When the businessman had approached Kumar to seek permission for constructing the motel, Kumar had allegedly objected and sealed the place. After that he demanded Rs.20 million to deseal the place,” the official said.
Singh then filed a complaint against Kumar and gave a recorded phone conversation between the two, which served as initial evidence.
The bureau raided Kumar’s residence and office Wednesday.
“The search is on since 6.00 a.m. Further investigation will decide the future course of the case,” the official added.
Kumar was also in the race for a Congress party nomination to contest the Lok Sabha elections from the northwest Delhi seat.
- Senior MCD official booked on corruption charges - Mar 18, 2009
- Senior MCD official arrested for corruption - Mar 18, 2009
- Case against two MCD officials - Feb 28, 2012
- Petroleum ministry official to face trial - Aug 16, 2012
- DDA ordered to pay Rs.3,000 damages to RTI applicant - May 30, 2012
- Assistant drug controller arrested for bribery - Jun 22, 2012
- Chhattisgarh labour official has over Rs.20 mn assets - Jan 07, 2012
- Tales of bribery from Ramlila Maidan - Aug 23, 2011
- For MCD officials, trifurcation costly, tiresome - Apr 20, 2012
- Rajasthan Police sub-inspector arrested for bribery - Aug 20, 2012
- BJP-led MCD developed culture of earning money: Maken - Apr 11, 2012
- BJP wins Delhi civic polls, but road ahead not so smooth - Apr 17, 2012
- Parts of five buildings demolished in west Delhi - Dec 20, 2010
- MCD demolishes, seals illegal structures - Dec 23, 2010
- Extortionist gang posing as reporters arrested - Dec 25, 2010