Senior MCD official arrested for corruptionMarch 18th, 2009 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 18 (IANS) A senior official of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) Wednesday was sent to two days’ police custody after he was booked by the anti-corruption cell on the charge of demanding Rs.2 crores from a businessman.
His junior was also jailed.
According to the anti-corruption cell, MCD deputy commissioner Ashok Kumar of the Najafgarh zone had allegedly demanded Rs.2 crores from businessman Raghubir Singh for releasing a plot of land in south Delhi where Singh had intended to construct a motel.
The businessman had approached Kumar to seek permission for constructing the motel on the land where it was not allowed.
But he demanded Rs.2 crores to ‘deseal’ the place.
Singh then filed a complaint against Kumar and gave a recorded phone conversation between the duo, which served as initial evidence.
The anti-corruption cell raided Kumar’s residence and office Wednesday.
Additional Sessions Judge A.S.Yadav remanded Ashok Kumar, as also zonal assistant engineer O.P. Malik, to two days police custody.
Kumar was in the race for a Congress party nomination to contest the Lok Sabha elections from the northwest Delhi seat.
- Senior MCD official booked on corruption charges (Lead) - Mar 18, 2009
- Senior MCD official booked on corruption charges - Mar 18, 2009
- Tales of bribery from Ramlila Maidan - Aug 23, 2011
- BJP-led MCD developed culture of earning money: Maken - Apr 11, 2012
- Maharashtra government set to face opposition ire - Jul 08, 2012
- Legislator shot at in Delhi - Jun 02, 2012
- DDA ordered to pay Rs.3,000 damages to RTI applicant - May 30, 2012
- Delhi land scam: Charges to be framed against 10 accused - May 05, 2012
- Pass Lokpal Bill soon, say people - May 22, 2011
- More Rajasthan ministers likely to be axed - Oct 17, 2011
- Man tries to extort money from neighbour, arrested - Sep 21, 2011
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan gets clean-chit in dumper scam - Dec 30, 2010
- Banks need to modernise, guard against fraud: CBI - May 20, 2011
- Court says no to de-sealing of Delhi mobile phone towers - Jun 14, 2010
- Trade union wants Rs.300 wages for rural jobs scheme (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: ashok kumar, assistant engineer, businessman, congress party, corruption, crores, deputy commissioner, initial evidence, lok sabha elections, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, New Delhi, northwest, party nomination, phone conversation, plot of land, police custody, rs 2, south delhi, yadav