Senior Himachal cop released on bailApril 7th, 2009 - 12:11 am ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 6 (IANS) Senior Himachal Pradesh police officer B.S. Thind, who was arrested Saturday on charges of cheating, conspiracy and intimidation, was released on bail Monday, the police said.
Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) B.S. Thind was arrested on charges of cheating and intimidation of a Chandigarh-based businessman. “He was released on bail this (Monday) evening,” Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Ramesh Pathania told IANS.
Solan District and Sessions Judge C.B. Barwalia accepted the bail application of Thind on medical grounds.
However, the court directed Thind to assist the investigation and restrained him from leaving the country without permission of the court.
The Indian Police Service (IPS) officer is facing a number of cheating and forgery cases in Himachal Pradesh and Punjab. He was arrested here on the complaint of businessman Ashok Mittal.
After his arrest, Thind was admitted to the Indira Gandhi Medical College (IGMC) here when he complained of discomfort in the chest. He was discharged from the IGMC Monday.
Mittal, in a complaint to the police, gave them an audio CD containing taped evidence of Thind demanding Rs.6 lakh from him for getting his shop vacated by tenants at Parwanoo town in Solan district of Himachal Pradesh.
The case pertains to 2004 when Thind was posted as ADGP (Law and Order).
In June 2008, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal directed the police to register a case against Thind.
The state government in January suspended Thind after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) framed charges against him in a land transaction case in a Punjab court. At that time he was posted as ADGP (Lokayukta).
The CBI arrested Thind in October 2006 in a land transaction case. He was accused of availing loans from different banks by mortgaging the same property. At that time, he was in judicial custody for 14 days.
One more case is pending against Thind in Punjab. He is accused of grabbing land from an NRI on a fake power of attorney.
- Senior cop of Himachal complains of chest pain on arrest - Apr 05, 2009
- Senior police officer arrested in Himachal Pradesh - Apr 04, 2009
- CBI searches houses of suspended senior Himachal cop (Lead) - Nov 24, 2009
- Arrested cop accuses Himachal chief minister of corruption - Apr 07, 2009
- Himachal Pradesh senior police officer suspended - Jan 23, 2009
- CBI searches houses of Himachal Pradesh top cop - Nov 24, 2009
- Another case against tainted Himanchal Pradesh cop - Jun 19, 2008
- Court denies bail to two held in Himachal land racket - Nov 02, 2011
- Himachal building collapse: Owner, builder held (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Andhra home secretary arrested in Emaar case (Second Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Law catches up with Swami Nityananda in Himachal (Lead) - Apr 21, 2010
- Rajasthan police officer denied bail in Dara Singh killing - Aug 22, 2012
- Controversial guru Nityananda granted bail - Jun 15, 2012
- No bail for mining baron Reddy - May 30, 2012
- Virbhadra accuses Dhumal of vindictiveness - Jul 01, 2012