Senator asks PCB chief to resign over Miandad controversyFebruary 9th, 2009 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Feb 9(IANS) Pakistan Cricket Board chief Ijaz Butt Monday came under intense criticism at a meeting of the Senate’s sports committee in Islamabad with one of its members asking him to resign.
According to sources, Senator Enver Baig - a member of the Senate’s committee - told Butt that he has failed as Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman and should resign from the position immediately.
Senators probing national cricket affairs fired tough questions at Butt and other top PCB officials during the high-voltage meeting held at the Parliament House. Sources said Butt came under fire over the issue of Javed Miandad, former Pakistan captain who decided to quit as PCB Director General last month under controversial circumstances.
When asked why Miandad worked as the director general for more than two months without even signing a contract, the PCB chief was unable to give a satisfactory answer.
“It was my biggest mistake to appoint Miandad as director general without making him sign a contract,” Butt told the committee.
Not satisfied with his reply, Senator Baig of the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party asked him to resign.
The committee also asked the PCB chairman to explain the terms on which Miandad’s appointment was made.
The committee grilled Pakistan coach Intikhab Alam, chief selector Abdul Qadir and PCB officials over Pakistan’s humiliating 234-run defeat in its one-day series final against Sri Lanka in Lahore last month.
The meeting was also attended by PCB Chief Operating Officer (COO) Saleem Altaf, former PCB COO Shafqat Naghmi and Sports Minister Pir Aftab Shah Jilani.
- Pakistans Senate committee asks PCB chairman to quit - Feb 09, 2009
- PCB chief faces privilege motion by Senates sports body - Feb 12, 2009
- Miandad hits back at PCB, says it is his duty to put Pak cricket on right track - Jul 10, 2010
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
- Pak NA committee summons Miandad to explain 'hurdles' in PCB functioning - Jan 27, 2010
- 'Inept' Butt 'too old' to be PCB chairman, Miandad tells Zardari - Feb 03, 2010
- Pak Sports Ministry expresses helplessness in acting against PCB and its boss Ijaz Butt - Sep 24, 2010
- Afridi urges Zardari to save Pakistani cricket - Jun 01, 2011
- Miandad blasts PCB for shabby treatment of former cricketers - Sep 26, 2011
- PCB's 'redefined' Miandad role as Director General includes 'media gag' - Feb 03, 2010
- Underfire Butt writes letter to Zardari to explain his absence during NA's meeting - Dec 19, 2009
- Dengue forces Twenty20 tournament out of Lahore to Karachi - Sep 21, 2011
- Miandad threatens to quit PCB - Feb 02, 2010
- Pakistani Senators want life ban on dope-tainted Asif - Jan 13, 2009
- Gilani to press for PCB chief Ijaz Butt's dismissal with Zardari - Nov 03, 2010