Senate panel takes first step toward approval of n-dealSeptember 24th, 2008 - 3:20 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 24 (IANS) The US senate has taken the first important steptowards a possible vote on the Indo-US nuclear deal by adding it for mark up to the business agenda of the Senate Foreign relations committee for Tuesday. But there’s no confirmation yet on when the vote will actually take place.The bill, which was initially not on the agenda of the powerful panel was added to the business list as the ninth and last item of business shortlyafter it met Tuesday afternoon.
Indian and US officials are hoping that the deal could be ratified by the Congress before Indian Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh comes to meet President, George W. Bush, at the White House Sep 25.
The Business Committee of the Congress is still to decide whether to waive the mandatory 30 days discussion period for the 123 agreement. It will also decide if there will be a separate or joint resolution of Congress to approve the 123 pact.
However, there was still no word from the House Committee on Foreign Affairs as to when they are going to take up the issue. The Committee’s Democratic chair Howard Berman, says he supports the deal but has reservations about the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) waiver for India.
- Manmohan Singh arrives in US, Senate panel approves n-deal (lead) - Sep 24, 2008
- US firmly supports clean waiver to India: Roemer - Jun 30, 2011
- US Senate panel may endorse n-deal, but House still dicey - Sep 18, 2008
- Bush trying hard to keep n-deal date with Manmohan Singh - Sep 16, 2008
- Bush races against time to keep n-deal date with Manmohan (Lead) - Sep 16, 2008
- US wants India to ratify compensation regime for n-accidents - Jul 19, 2011
- Berman supports India n-deal on assurance from Condoleezza Rice - Sep 27, 2008
- Boucher hopes n-deal will be done this month - Sep 12, 2008
- US firmly supports NSG clean waiver to India: Roemer (Lead, With image) - Jun 30, 2011
- US firmly supports NSG clean waiver to India (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- NRI body seeks relief on US penalties on foreign accounts - Sep 16, 2011
- Bush administration initiates talks with Congress leaders on 123 Agreement - Sep 09, 2008
- US working hard to get n-deal done during Manmohan visit - Sep 24, 2008
- US lawmakers across political divide seek quick n-deal approval - Sep 17, 2008
- N-deal may be done soon; Berman softens stand (Second Lead) - Sep 26, 2008