Sena calls for Maharashtra shut down to support Sadhvi, PurohitNovember 26th, 2008 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 26 (IANS) Opposing the turn Malegaon blast case investigations are taking, Shiv Sena has called for a Maharashtra shutdown Monday to express solidarity with two of the prime accused, Sadhvi Pragnya Chandrapal Singh Thakur and army officer Lt. Col. Prasad Purohit.According to Sanjay Raut, a Rajya Sabha member from Shiv Sena, the shutdown call is prompted by the feeling in the party and people at large at the manner the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) is conducting the investigations into the blast.
“There is a feeling that the ATS is coming up with these things daily without proof and it is obviously functioning under political pressure,” Raut told IANS here Wednesday.
He said that it will be a shutdown in the “old, traditional Shiv Sena style,” and that party activists will be out on the roads to enforce the action.
The winter session of the state legislature is due to open in Nagpur Monday.
Six people were killed in the blast in Malegaon town of Maharashtra on the night of Sep 29. The ATS has arrested at least 10 including the sadhvi, the serving army officer and some radical Hindu activists.
Several Hindu organisations have opposed allegations that there was a radical Hindutva ‘terror network’ behind the blast.
- Army officer refused bail in Malegaon blast case - Nov 10, 2011
- Another key accused in Malegaon blast held - Feb 01, 2011
- Malegaon blast: NIA to interrogate accused army officer - Jul 19, 2011
- 11 Malegaon blast accused to be charged under MCOCA (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2010
- Another key accused in 2008 Malegaon blast held (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- High court grants bail to two Malegaon blast accused - Aug 03, 2011
- Malegaon blast accused charged under MCOCA: ATS (Lead) - Nov 20, 2008
- Malegaon blast accused booked under stringent law (Second Lead) - Nov 20, 2008
- Sadhvi Pragnya files fresh bail plea - Nov 18, 2011
- Malegaon accused, ATS officers are Hindus, minister tells critics - Nov 20, 2008
- ATS charges Malegaon accused under stringent law (Second lead) - Nov 20, 2008
- Malegaon blast accused to contest Uttar Pradesh polls - Jan 23, 2012
- CBI receives Malegaon re-investigation nod - Jan 14, 2011
- Malegaon blast accused not part of RSS: Ram Madhav - Feb 11, 2011
- Sena activist moves high court against Sadhvi's 'torture' - Nov 20, 2008