‘Semifinal contest between India’s batting and Pakistan’s bowling’March 28th, 2011 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Mar 28 (IANS) Hoping that the India-Pakistan cricket World Cup semifinal in Mohali Wednesday would not be a one-sided game, several former World Cup winning skippers Monday said it would be a contest between India’s strong batting and Pakistan’s formidable bowling.
“I hope that it will not be a one-sided game. Both the teams have a bundle of talent. India has the batting advantage, while Pakistan has the bowling and fielding advantage,” said cricketing legend Clive Lloyd who led the West Indies to World Cup glory in 1975 and 1979.
“If Sachin (Tendulkar) bats well then India will have a very good start. Yuvraj (Singh) has also come of age. I think he has done extremely well (in the World Cup),” he stated.
“Any India-Pakistan contest creates lot of pressure and evokes a lot of interest. India are slightly favourites in the semifinal as they will be playing on home ground. The contest will be between India’s batting lineup and Pakistan’s bowling lineup,” said former Australian skipper Allan Border, who led his side to victory in the 1987 edition.
Pakistan’s World Cup winning captain Imran Khan said: “I also don’t want a one-sided game. I will project a Sri Lanka-Pakistan final.” Khan was the skipper when Pakistas won their only Cup title in 1992.
When India’s only World Cup winning captain Kapil Dev was asked to comment on Khan’s statement, he said: “One can dream. We all dream. But we should be careful.”
Under Kapil’s captaincy India had won the title in 1983.
- It's Pakistani bowlers vs Indian batsmen: Saeed Ajmal - Mar 28, 2011
- Players to watch out for at Mohali - Mar 29, 2011
- India have batting to overpower Bangladesh (Evening Lead, World Cup match preview) - Feb 18, 2011
- Be aggressive as captain, ruthless as batsman, Kapil Dev tells Dhoni - Feb 07, 2011
- Royal Challengers raring to go for kill from first IPL-V game - Apr 06, 2012
- India wins toss, elects to bat first against Pak in Mohali encounter - Mar 30, 2011
- Indo-Pak World Cup semi-final is a huge match for everyone: Saeed Ajmal - Mar 28, 2011
- Former Pakistani players hail cricket revival with India - Jul 16, 2012
- Former Pakistani cricketers hail revival of India series (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- India should not tinker with the batting order: Wadekar - Mar 19, 2011
- Kapil Dev slams bowlers for poor display against England - Mar 02, 2011
- History beckons India, Sri Lanka at Wankhede (Preview) - Apr 01, 2011
- It will be India's batting vs Pakistan's bowling (Preview) - Mar 29, 2011
- Dhoni has an advantage over Afridi as captain: Imran - Mar 26, 2011
- Astrologers predict India's World Cup victory - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: allan border, bowling, clive lloyd, cricket world cup, imran khan, india pakistan cricket, kapil dev, kolkata, mohali, sided game, skipper, skippers, sri lanka, tendulkar, victory, west indies, world cup glory, world cup semifinal