Selectors to search for all-rounders in Challenger TrophyOctober 23rd, 2008 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Oct 23 (IANS) Indian selectors will be on the lookout for all-rounders in the N.K.P. Salve Challenger Trophy cricket tournament that got underway in Cuttack Thursday.”The Challenger Trophy matches are starting today and the focus is to find all-rounders,” Krishnamachari Srikkanth, chairman of the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s selection committee, said at a press conference.
“That’s why they have picked as many all-rounders as possible to take part in the Challenger Trophy,” he said.
Srikkanth is in Dubai for the ‘Legends of Lord’s’ event celebrating the silver jubilee of India’s 1983 cricket World Cup victory. All members of that champion side will be felicitated at a function here.
“Three of our four selectors are in Cuttack to watch those matches,” he said.
“We are confident that in a short time we will be able to find all-rounders.”
He, however, added that it might well be impossible to find somebody like Kapil Dev.
“Obviously, we cannot find somebody like Kapil Dev for sure. There can be one and only one Kapil Dev,” he said
“If we find somebody who is 25 percent as good as Kapil Dev, we will be very happy,” he said.
The four-day tournament at the Barabati stadium in Cuttack features three teams with Yuvraj Singh leading India Blue, Subramaniam Badrinath India Red and Mohammad Kaif India Green.
- N.K.P. Salve is dead (Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- Harmeet Singh named in Rest of India squad (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Harmeet Singh picked up for Irani Cup - Sep 10, 2012
- Sachin to play in Asia Cup, Sehwag rested (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- New ICC rules to be implemented in domestic matches from Challenger Trophy - Oct 07, 2011
- Badrinath, Gambhir, Harbhajan to lead Challenger Trophy teams - Sep 29, 2011
- Shukla blasts Venkat for being dropped from East Zone squad - Mar 12, 2012
- We should support Dhoni and team, says Kapil - Jan 20, 2012
- Ranji Trophy format tweaked a second time in 10 years - Jul 16, 2012
- Sehwag not dropped, Kohli excellent future captain: Srikkanth - Feb 29, 2012
- BCCI grants amnesty to Kapil Dev - Jul 25, 2012
- Kapil wants Sachin to retire immediately - Feb 20, 2012
- BCCI institutes awards named after Lala Amarnath - Oct 29, 2011
- Indian Test squad chosen from the future point of view: Srikkanth - Oct 29, 2011
- Tendulkar opts out; Sehwag, Zaheer back for Lanka tour (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012