Selectors give a lifeline to AfridiFebruary 10th, 2009 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Feb 10 (IANS) Senior Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi has been given a lifeline to revive his Test career by national selectors who asked him to lead the local squad in the two-day warm-up match against Sri Lanka in Karachi next week.
Afridi, 28, hasn’t played a Test in more than two-and-a-half years and seems unlikely to play in the two-match Test series against Sri Lanka starting from Feb 21 because of his unimpressive form with the bat.
However, chief selector Abdul Qadir believes that Afridi remains a key player and will remain in contention for a place in the final 15-man Test squad to be announced by Feb 18.
“Afridi is a very senior player with loads of experience,” said Qadir. “We can’t just dump him because he is going through a lean patch,” he added.
It is because of this reason that the national selection committee has appointed Afridi as captain of the 15-man squad that will play against Sri Lanka in a two-day match on Feb 17-18 here at the DHA Stadium.
The selectors have also picked Afridi in a 22-man preliminary Test squad for a training camp that will get underway in Karachi, Feb 15. Afridi is generally regarded as a one-day specialist but the Karachi-based allrounder has played 26 Tests, scoring 1,683 runs at 37.40 with five tons and eight fifties. He has also collected 47 Test wickets.
He has a much more creditable one-day experience, having scored 5,531 runs and taken 243 wickets from 271 one-dayers.
Afridi last played a Test in the summer of 2006 against England in Manchester. Since then he has been confined to playing in ODIs and twenty20 games.
Squad: Shahid Afridi (captain), Bazid Khan, Ahmed Shahzad, Saeed Bin Nasir, Azhar Ali, Asim Kamal, Khaqan Arsal, Bilal Khilji, Sarfraz Ahmed (vice-captain), Yasir Shah, Mohammad Khalil, Wahab Riaz, Fahad Masood, Najaf Shah, Azeem Ghuman.
- Pak's preliminary World Cup squad gets mixed reaction from former players - Jan 06, 2011
- Pakistan announce World Cup squad without a captain - Jan 18, 2011
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Malik axed from Pakistan's Asia Cup side; Jamshed, Sarfraz recalled - Mar 03, 2012
- Former Pakistan players hail selection of Younis, Malik - May 26, 2010
- Kamran, Razzaq, Younus omitted from Pak squad for West Indies tour - Apr 06, 2011
- Pakistan looking to blood youngsters in T20 team - Jul 18, 2011
- Afridi "not worried" about losing Pakistan captaincy - Jan 19, 2011
- Afridi to decide his Test future after England tour - Jun 24, 2010
- Former Pak players criticize skipper Afridi for irresponsible attitude - Jan 23, 2011
- Afridi considers Test retirement - Feb 19, 2009
- Afridi, Waqar wanted Malik, not Younis to replace Yousuf for South Africa series - Oct 21, 2010
- Afridi to captain at World Cup - Feb 04, 2011
- Pakistan names cricket squad for T20 World Cup - Jul 18, 2012
- Pakistan select five rookies for Test against Sri Lanka - Feb 18, 2009