Security up in Kerala after attack on CPI-M Delhi officeMarch 9th, 2008 - 6:51 pm ICT by admin
Kannur, March 9 (IANS) Security was tightened Sunday at party offices across Kerala following an attack on the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) headquarters in New Delhi by some Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) workers. In several places Marxist activists staged marches protesting against the violence. As soon as word spread about the attack in Delhi, Kerala Director General of Police Raman Srivastava ordered that police forces be posted at the offices of the CPI-M, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and RSS across Kerala.
A mob of RSS workers attacked the CPI-M headquarters near Gole Market in New Delhi, close to the prestigious shopping centre of Connaught Place, injuring around 15 leftists and damaging property.
The attack took place Sunday morning when the CPI-M central committee meeting was taking place.
It came in the wake of the political clashes between the ruling CPI-M and the RSS that has left at least seven people dead in Kerala’s Kannur district over the past week.
Kerala Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan condemned the attack in New Delhi and said such an incident was taking place for the first time in the country.
“No political party should ever do such a thing and this is the best example of fascist tendencies of a party,” Balakrishnan told reporters here.
Angry activists of the CPI-M and its feeder organisations took out protest marches in several places, shouting anti-BJP slogans.
Kannur district has been a hotbed of political violence between the CPI-M and the BJP-RSS combine.
The recent bout of violence started when an RSS leader was attacked in Thalassery town Wednesday. Three people lost their lives later Wednesday in retaliation by RSS and BJP and in counter-attacks by the CPI-M. While one person was killed Thursday, two others were murdered Friday.
- The killing fields of Kerala - Jun 01, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader arrested in murder case - Aug 01, 2012
- CPI-M worker killed during Kerala shutdown (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for murder, party calls shutdown (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- RSS activist killed, shutdown in Kerala town - Oct 11, 2008
- Shutdown in Kerala over CPI-M leader's arrest - Aug 02, 2012
- Kerala chief minister out of poll fray (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- IUML worker's murder: Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail - Aug 27, 2012
- CPI-M legislator, 32 others charged in IUML worker murder - Aug 23, 2012
- Achuthanandan, three ministers out of Kerala poll fray (Second Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Being targeted to tarnish party, says Kerala CPI-M leader - May 18, 2012
- CPI-M legislator remanded in custody in murder case (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Prove poll violence charge, demands Kerala home minister - Oct 24, 2010
- IPI condemns Marxists for newspaper blockade - Nov 04, 2011
- Congress demands stop to CPI-M violence in Kerala - Apr 15, 2011