Security up in Chhattisgarh’s Maoist-hit DantewadaOctober 27th, 2010 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Oct 27 (IANS) Security was tightened in Chhattisgarh’s Maoist-hit Dantewada district Wednesday after armed rebels set a road construction vehicle on fire, police said.
“Extra police force has been sent to Chhindgarh block to provide security to workers. About 25 Maoists set on fire a major vehicle engaged in road construction work and threatened the workers and the contractor late Tuesday,” an official at the Dantewada police control room told IANS.
Maoists set the vehicle ablaze in an attempt to stop the construction work, the official said, adding that once the road construction was complete it would give local authorities and police access to the forested interiors of the Chhindgarh, where Maoists have been having a complete sway for years.
Dantewada in southern tip of Chhattisgarh is dubbed as one of the worst Maoist militancy-hit districts in the country. The outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) has carried out a series of deadly attacks on police and civilians in the district since 2005, including the massacre of 76 security personnel in an ambush in April this year.
- Maoist strike cripples Chhattisgarh, 8 cops injured (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Two killed in Chhattisgarh on Maoist stir's first day (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Bastar deserted due to Maoist shutdown - Jul 29, 2011
- Chhattisgarh on alert as Maoists mark anniversary - Sep 21, 2011
- Fear of Maoists blocks road projects in Chhattisgarh - Dec 11, 2011
- Chhattisgarh to set up ITIs in Maoist-hit districts - May 28, 2011
- After attack, Chhattisgarh hunts for Maoists - Oct 22, 2011
- Maoists oppose Chhattisgarh's foundation anniversary - Oct 28, 2011
- Security up in Chhattisgarh as Maoists to boycott R-Day - Jan 25, 2012
- Maoists kill six cops in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Maoists shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh interiors - May 21, 2011
- Maoist-called shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh - Dec 04, 2011
- Steps taken to combat Maoists yielding results: Pillai - Jul 06, 2010
- Shutdown against Obama trip peaceful in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Nov 08, 2010
- Maoist protest week hits life in Chhattisgarh interiors - Jul 04, 2011
Tags: ambush, civilians, communist party of india, construction work, CPI, fire police, local authorities, maoist, maoists, police force, rebels, road construction, security personnel, southern tip, sway