Security to be overhauled for 2010 Commonwealth GamesDecember 16th, 2008 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 16 (IANS) The government will completely overhaul its security set-up for the 2010 Commonwealth Games, a senior official said here Tuesday.”Tourism in general and medical tourism in particular have suffered negative growth in the month of November. We will reshape security arrangements to ensure that it (medical tourism) grows by at least 20 times during and after Commonwealth Games of 2010,” Tourism Secretary Sujit Banerjee said at the International Medical Tourism Summit here.
He said senior officials from all ministries associated with the Games, led by the home secretary, will jointly chalk out plans to upgrade security for tourists.
“The exercise will commence any day and the government will ensure all possible protection not only for hospitality industry but also sites of historical importance, besides venues for the Games events,” Banerjee said.
“Medical tourism has growth potential as India provides the best of medical treatments at minimal cost,” he said, adding that tourists visiting India for medical treatment during the Games would be taken to popular tourist spots, including religious and adventure sports sites, at government expense.
The tourism secretary said the government is also considering relaxing visa norms for such tourists.
In addition, there will also be free yoga programmes for overseas tourists at various camps.
- Tourism ministry plans more hotel management institutes - Aug 17, 2009
- Government committed to promoting sustainable tourism: Minister - Jul 27, 2010
- Foreign tourist arrivals in India jump 21 percent - Jan 16, 2010
- Chandigarh to have tourism police - Jun 29, 2010
- Travel industry seeks better infrastructure, tax sops - Sep 04, 2010
- Indian road show woos Canadian tourists - May 21, 2010
- Delhi's budget tourist hubs to get facelift - Nov 04, 2009
- 'Government, law-enforcing agencies working for tourists' safety' - Jul 01, 2010
- Ayurveda, yoga seen as big draws during Commonwealth Games - Oct 05, 2010
- Tourism and travel fair begins in Delhi - Feb 11, 2010
- Wellness, the way to perfect health holistically - Aug 05, 2010
- 'Indian medical industry to be worth Rs.10,800 crore by 2015' - Aug 05, 2011
- Chunk of hotel rooms coming up in Haryana for Games - Nov 06, 2009
- 'Keep forest land, animal corridors safe from unplanned tourism' - Mar 06, 2010
- Panel to set tourism norms around tiger reserves - Dec 29, 2010