Security in place for Puri’s Jagannath return festivalJuly 20th, 2010 - 11:34 pm ICT by IANS
Puri (Orissa), July 20 (IANS) Elaborate security measures have been put in place in Orissa’s temple city of Puri ahead of the return festival of Lord Jagannath and two other deities on Wednesday, an officer said.
“We have taken all the necessary measures to prevent any untoward incident. More then 5,000 policemen have been deployed in the city. Besides, large numbers of policemen have been deployed to manage traffic,” a police officer told IANS.
The Bahuda Yatra marks the return of Hindu god Jagannath, brother Balabhadra and sister Subhadra from the Gundicha temple to the main Jagannath temple, both in Puri, some 56 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
He said that closed circuit security cameras have been installed at various places to keep a watch on troublemakers and manage the crowds. Besides, bomb detection and disposal squads and fire tender units are also ready to meet any emergency.
The Rath Yatra marks the annual journey of the three deities from the 12th century Jagannath temple in three splendidly decorated wooden chariots to Gundicha temple, about two kilometers away.
The Bahuda Yatra or the return festival is held nine days after the annual Rath Yatra. The deities return to their abode in the same splendidly decorated chariots which thousands of devotees pull with the help of ropes.
According to the officer, the Bahuda Yatra is expected to draw more then half a million devotees.
The pulling of the chariots is likely to start at about 1 p.m. Wednesday.
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012
- Orissa town celebrates return festival of deities - Jul 11, 2011
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Sea of pilgrims at Puri for annual chariot festival - Jul 03, 2011
- Lakhs converge in Puri for Jagannath return festival - Jul 21, 2010
- Puri Ratha Yatra preparations gain momentum in Odisha - Jun 11, 2012
- Puri Rath Yatra chariots reach destination - Jun 22, 2012
- Lakhs witness deities' bathing ritual in Puri - Jun 15, 2011
- Security beefed up ahead of Puri chariot festival - Jun 20, 2012
- 62 special trains for Puri Rath Yatra - Jun 20, 2012
- Woman dies in stampede during Jagannath Rath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Lakhs converge in Puri for Jagannath Rath Yatra - Jul 13, 2010
- Special trains for Rath Yatra in Orissa - Jul 10, 2010
- Security up in Puri ahead of Rath Yatra - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: 12th century, bomb detection, chariots, circuit security, closed circuit, deities, devotees, fire tender, half a million, hindu god, jagannath temple, lord jagannath, necessary measures, puri orissa, rath yatra, security cameras, security measures, subhadra, temple city, untoward incident