Security beefed up in OrissaSeptember 23rd, 2010 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 23 (IANS) Police forces were deployed in sensitive areas of Orissa Thursday ahead of the Allahabad High Court verdict in the Ramjanmabhoomi-Babri Masjid dispute, which was slated to be delivered Friday an official said.
The Supreme Court Thursday deferred by a week the pronouncement of the Ayodhya verdict. The apex court also issued notices to all the parties to the title suit and asked the attorney general to be present when it takes up the case Sep 28.
Earllier in the day, forces were deployed and security beefed up in some identified pockets of the state.
“We have asked all the district collectors and superintendents of police (SP) to remain alert,” Home Secretary U.N. Behera told IANS here.
“We have also issued instructions, asking them to deal firmly with any untoward incident,” he said.
The demolition of the 16th century Babri Masjid Dec 6, 1992, by Hindu radicals, who believed that the mosque was built on the birthplace of Lord Ram, had triggered nationwide riots.
- Alert in Orissa ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 29, 2010
- Security stepped up in Kerala ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 23, 2010
- States on security alert after apex court's Ayodhya ruling - Sep 28, 2010
- Munda appeals for peace ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 23, 2010
- Tamil Nadu steps up security aead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 29, 2010
- Respect verdict or settle Ayodhya dispute amicably: Congress - Sep 17, 2010
- Ayodhya verdict to be pronounced Sep 24 - Sep 08, 2010
- Devotees can visit Ayodhya temple on judgement day - Sep 29, 2010
- High alert across India after Supreme Court's Ayodhya ruling (Lead) - Sep 28, 2010
- VHP seers meet in Ayodhya to decide on road ahead - Oct 20, 2010
- Ayodhya verdict: Calm after apex court stay relieves government - Sep 23, 2010
- Gujarat remains on alert - Sep 23, 2010
- PM appeals for peace after Ayodhya verdict (Lead) - Sep 28, 2010
- Tight security in Jammu and Kashmir ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 29, 2010
- Ayodhya verdict should be accepted by all: Prakash Karat - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: 16th century, allahabad high court, apex, apex court, behera, bhubaneswar, court verdict, demolition, hindu radicals, home secretary, lord ram, mosque, orissa, pockets, police forces, pronouncement, riots, sensitive areas, supreme court, untoward incident