Security beefed up in Kashmir on Republic DayJanuary 25th, 2009 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 25 (IANS) Authorities in Jammu and Kashmir have sounded an alert across the valley and deployed police and paramilitary troopers in strength ahead of the Republic Day celebrations Monday.Security forces have been deployed to maintain law and order and ensure the main function at the Bakshi Stadium here passes off peacefully Monday.
A thick security blanket has been thrown around the stadium where Rural Development Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar will unfurl the national flag and take salute.
Roads leading to the stadium have been sealed and no movement was allowed near the venue Sunday.
Security forces have sanitized the areas surrounding the Bakshi Stadium where paramilitary sharpshooters have been positioned atop the high-rise buildings for a close watch.
Despite heavy rains that lashed Srinagar and other valley parts Sunday, every vehicle entering the capital city was searched.
Security was also hightened in other major towns of the valley, where Republic Day functions are scheduled Monday.
“We have made elaborate security arrangements in the city and other towns,” said a police officer.
Security forces Friday gunned down two separatist guerrillas of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militant outfit and recovered arms and ammunition including two AK-rifles, six magazines and scores of rounds during a forest operation in north Kashmir Kupwara district.
- Security beefed up in Srinagar - Aug 13, 2012
- Main R-Day parade passes off peacefully in Srinagar - Jan 26, 2012
- Tight security in Srinagar ahead of R-Day - Jan 25, 2010
- Life relaxed in Kashmir Valley ahead of R-Day (With Images) - Jan 24, 2012
- Kashmir on high alert ahead of Republic Day - Jan 24, 2011
- Rights abusers will be punished: Omar Abdullah - Aug 15, 2011
- Nation celebrates 64th Independence Day - Aug 15, 2010
- Time for AFSPA removal hasn't come: Omar - Aug 15, 2012
- Omar asks separatists to abjure violence (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Heavy security in Kashmir ahead of I-Day - Aug 13, 2011
- Delhi put on high alert ahead of Republic Day - Jan 21, 2012
- Republic Day peaceful in Kashmir; separatist, BJP marches foiled (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- BJP activists, separatists held on peaceful R-Day in Kashmir (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Guerrilla outfit owns attack on Kashmir minister - Dec 12, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir on alert over Lashkar strike threat (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2011