Security beefed up at Bhakra Dam after LeT threatMarch 19th, 2009 - 1:37 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 18 (IANS) Security at the Bhakra Dam in Himachal Pradesh has been beefed up following reports from central intelligence agencies that terrorist outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) intended to target the mega hydro-electric project.
The 225-metre high Bakhra Dam is located nearly 20 km from Nangal town in Punjab. The dam on river Sutlej is in Himachal Pradesh along the hill state’s border with Punjab.
Sources in the Himachal and Punjab police and also the Bhakra-Beas Management Board (BBMB) confirmed that security around the Bhakra-Nangal dam project had been put on high alert following intercepts of a telephonic conversation of LeT operatives in Pakistan that they could target the project.
The Bhakra Dam is crucial for power generation and water supply to northern states of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Rajasthan.
Movement of traffic and people to the dam is being closely monitored by central and state police forces, officials here said.
- Punjab government to discuss Bhakra security - Jul 18, 2011
- Bhakra Dam security satisfactory, says official - Apr 07, 2010
- Record power generation by Bhakra, Pong - Sep 21, 2011
- Bhakra Dam on terrorists' hit-list - Jul 16, 2011
- Apex court relief for Himachal on power sharing - Sep 27, 2011
- Record power generation by Bhakra Beas board - Jul 14, 2011
- Punjab cautions against possibility of floods - Aug 17, 2011
- More Bhakra dam water released, no flood threat in Punjab - Aug 22, 2010
- Flood gates opened at Himachal's Pong Dam - Aug 18, 2011
- Bhakra, Pong dams still short of water - Sep 17, 2012
- Water may be released from Bhakra dam - Aug 20, 2010
- Bhakra, Pong dam water levels near top - Sep 08, 2011
- Dam discharge floods low-lying areas in Punjab - Aug 21, 2011
- BBMB records all-time high power generation - Oct 01, 2010
- No threat to food security: Punjab agriculture officials - Jul 15, 2010