Security beefed up ahead of IPL finalJune 1st, 2008 - 8:09 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, June 1 (IANS) Security arrangements were Sunday considerably heightened for the Indian Premier League (IPL) final at the D.Y. Patil Stadium in Mumbai’s satellite township of Navi Mumbai after a bomb was found in a theatre near the venue Saturday night. As a precautionary measure, 800 more security personnel along with sniffer dogs were Sunday deployed at the stadium.
“Apart from deploying the local constabulary, we have also decided this time to press half a dozen sniffer and guard dogs in the stadium near detectors,” Navi Mumbai police chief Ramrao Wagh said.
Additional forces like bomb disposal squad, strike units and quick response team were also kept ready in the vicinity, he added.
A bomb was found planted in the Vishnudas Bhave Auditorium, close to the stadium, Saturday evening when a play was being staged. The white powder in a plastic container found along with the bomb turned out to be ammonium nitrate, often used in explosive materials.
Maharashtra Director General of Police A. Roy, who is supervising the security arrangements, told reporters that security will be fool-proof and the spectators will be subjected to thorough frisking. No one will be allowed to carry cell-phones inside the stadium, he said.
All vehicles moving in Navi Mumbai were being thoroughly checked and so was every nook and corner of the stadium and its surroundings.
The Navi Mumbai police expected an unprecedented 12,000 vehicles in and around the stadium. “Even managing traffic is a top priority for us,” Wagh said.
- Republic Day: Security beefed up, traffic diversions announced - Jan 21, 2011
- IPL final would go without hindrance: Ratnakar Shetty - Jun 01, 2008
- Tight security for IPL semi-finals, final - Apr 19, 2010
- Bomb found near IPL final venue - Jun 01, 2008
- Fertiliser bomb fears persist despite ammonium nitrate ban - Aug 09, 2011
- Security beef-up in Delhi begins Monday ahead of R-Day - Jan 16, 2011
- Karnataka Cops get leads on men behind stadium blasts - Apr 18, 2010
- Navi Mumbai cheers for Pune Warriors - Apr 10, 2011
- Heavily fortified Delhi gears up for Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Ammonium nitrate possibly used in Delhi High Court blast - Sep 07, 2011
- Huge cache of explosive seized in UP - Jun 09, 2012
- Bomb hoax on Howrah bridge - Sep 25, 2011
- Watertight security at Wankhede for World Cup final - Apr 02, 2011
- Four explosives recovered, two held in Assam - Jan 25, 2012
- Explosive substances near rail track diffused - Aug 23, 2012