Secure couples manage conflicts betterSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 12:26 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Sep 23 (IANS) Couples who feel secure with each other are more likely to work out their problems in a spirit of give and take, rather than avoid them. Swinburne University doctoral student Sue Whelan found that the degree of security people feel with their partner may impact their dealings with conflicts in relationships.
“If each person could understand and lean a little closer to their partner’s conflict resolution style, they could begin to communicate a lot better and stop interpreting the other person’s way of dealing with conflict as a personal attack or simply problematic,” said Whelan.
Whelan surveyed 101 heterosexual couples who were practically living as husband and wives for varying periods of time and about how they resolved conflict, their degree of relationship security and marital satisfaction.
“Research has shown that individuals who are anxious and insecure in their attachment style generally have less success in relationships,” said Whelan, reports Sciencealert.
“This is because a person who is insecurely attached to their partner will tend to deal with conflict by either escalating passionate arguments to resolve their problems so they can remain in constant contact with their partners or by avoiding discussion of their problems.”
As a practising marital psychologist, Whelan has found that common problem areas for distressed couples are conflict resolution and a lack of behaviour that helps each person in a couple to feel secure.
She presented her findings at the ongoing Australian Psychological Society conference.
- Secure relationship leads to more satisfactory sex life - Jun 02, 2011
- How you fight with your spouse can predict the fate of your marriage - Sep 29, 2010
- Father's love greatly impacts personality development - Jun 13, 2012
- If a lovers' tiff leaves you fuming, blame your parents - Feb 22, 2011
- What makes a healthy, happy marriage? - Jun 01, 2010
- Men are not from Mars, nor are women from Venus: Study - Mar 23, 2011
- Conflict Resolution web site created for couples - Mar 13, 2010
- More men now seek counselling - Sep 12, 2012
- When a couple, men, women don't think differently - Mar 23, 2011
- Feeling secure in a relationship is good for your heart - Jul 21, 2010
- Fighting once a week? It's good for marriage - Jan 11, 2012
- Shyness 'can lead to marital problems' - May 20, 2010
- 'Marital discord creates emotional problems in children' - Jun 14, 2012
- How to revive romance in marriage? Take tips from experts! - Feb 12, 2012
- Men's potency crashes when wives bond with male buddies - Aug 09, 2011