Sectarian clash in Uttar PradeshDecember 5th, 2008 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 5 (IANS) A clash between Shia and Sunni sects of Muslims has led to tension in an Uttar Pradesh village, the police said Friday. The two groups clashed Thursday night in Meerganj town in Bahraich district, 270 km from Lucknow, after heated arguments over criticism of their respective religious leaders, police added.
“Members of the two sects clashed at a religious gathering in Jarwal locality, pelting stones at each other. No casualties have been reported,” district police chief Chandra Prakash told IANS over the telephone.
Following the sectarian clash, additional security has been deployed in the town, he added.
- Two Muslim groups clash, one injured - Dec 17, 2010
- Communal clash in UP's Faizabad, paramilitary deployed - Jul 24, 2012
- Five injured in communal clash - Aug 25, 2011
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Tension in Punjab district after clash - Jan 16, 2011
- Army called to curfew-bound Kashmir villages after clashes - Feb 26, 2010
- Sectarian clashes trigger tension in Kashmir village - Feb 25, 2010
- Security beefed up in Uttar Pradesh for Barawafat festival - Feb 15, 2011
- 16 die in Uttar Pradesh accident - May 19, 2012
- Two Shia clerics killed in Iraq drive-by shooting - Sep 01, 2012
- Clashes in Lucknow after Shia clerics arrested - Nov 14, 2010
- 20 injured as lawyers, officials clash - Mar 01, 2011
- 14 dead in Pakistan violence (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Tension spilling over to Jammu - Mar 16, 2012
- 50 held for Uttar Pradesh communal clash - Aug 10, 2011