Second day of pro-Maoist group’s shutdown peacefulNovember 17th, 2010 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 17 (IANS) No untoward incident was reported Wednesday on the second day of the 48-hour shutdown called by a pro-Maoist tribal group in West Bengal’s three districts protesting against alleged police atrocities.
The Peoples’ Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA) called the shutdown in junglemahal (forested Maoist-affected areas of West Midnapore, Purulia and Bankura districts) in the wake of murders of their two supporters in Sirshi village Monday.
It was also protesting against the alleged torture by the joint forces countering Maoists. The PCAPA has also demanded the withdrawal of the joint forces from the area.
“No untoward incidents were reported today (Wednesday). Security personnel were deployed in the Maoist-hit areas,” said West Midnapore Superintendent of Police Manoj Verma.
“Normal life was hit in the Maoist-affected tribal areas of the district as schools, offices and business establishments remained closed. Private buses and vehicles did not ply on the road,” said Verma.
The scenario was quite the same in Purulia and Bankura districts.
The shutdown was observed in a few places of Ranibandh, Sarenga and Barikul areas of Bankura district, said Bankura Superintendent of Police Pranav Kumar.
“The shutdown was by and large successful in the Maoist-dominated Ayodhya Hill areas of Purulia district. In areas like Arsa, Balarampur, Jhalda, Bandwan and Bagmundi, shops and business establishment remained closed through the day,” said a senior police officer of Purulia district.
Schools and government offices remained closed, he said.
- Partial response to shutdown call in West Bengal - Dec 28, 2010
- Pro-Maoist shutdown hits life of three Bengal districts - Jan 11, 2011
- Pro-Maoist shutdown hits parts of three Bengal districts (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Maoist shutdown in Bengal evokes partial response - Dec 08, 2010
- Pro-Maoist shutdown cripples life in three Bengal districts - Dec 29, 2010
- Pro-Maoist group's shutdown paralyses life in West Bengal areas - Aug 03, 2010
- Pro-Maoist group's shutdown call has partial response - Feb 03, 2010
- Mixed response on day two of pro-Maoists' shutdown call - Feb 03, 2010
- Unite in fight against Maoists: Buddhadeb - Nov 14, 2010
- Maoist stir hits life in some West Bengal areas - Jul 01, 2010
- Maoists kill five CPI-M supporters in West Bengal - Sep 13, 2010
- Opposition shutdowns hit life in parts of Bengal - Jan 10, 2011
- Maoist shutdown evokes partial response in Junglemahal - Nov 26, 2011
- Five Maoists arrested in West Bengal - Sep 26, 2010
- Tight security, long voter queues in Maoist heartland (Second Lead) - May 10, 2011
Tags: atrocities, bankura, business establishment, business establishments, government offices, hill areas, maoist, maoist group, maoists, midnapore, murders, police officer, pranav, private buses, purulia, security personnel, tribal areas, tribal group, untoward incident, west bengal