Sebastian Coe joins England 2018 FIFA World Cup bidFebruary 19th, 2009 - 1:43 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 19 (DPA) Having helped bring the 2012 Olympic Games to Britain, Olympian Sebastian Coe will seek to complete a remarkable double after being named as part of England’s bid team for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Coe currently chairs the London Organising Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, a position he will continue to hold alongside the vice-presidency of the International Association of Athletics Federations.
The former Olympic champions is, though, taking leave of absence from his role as chairman of FIFA’s ethics commission for as long as his work on the World Cup takes - probably around 18 months.
“I look forward to playing my part in our bid for the FIFA World Cup,” Coe told reporters.
“I am passionate about football so am delighted to be standing alongside many other people and football greats up and down the country in bidding for this event.
“Winning the football World Cup would be the hat-trick in a golden era for sport in the UK following the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2012 and the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in 2014.”
Football Association (FA) chairman Lord Triesman welcomed the announcement.
“I firmly believe that making Lord Coe a member of our executive board significantly enhances our chances of success,” he said.
“Lord Coe is a highly regarded international sports ambassador who is not only passionate about football but also commands great respect in the global football community.
“His experiences in leading the successful London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic bid and generating a wealth of domestic and international support will be invaluable to us.
“”He is also held in high esteem by the FIFA football family and this, coupled with his London 2012 success, means he is a tremendous addition to the board and to the 2018 team in general.”
- Coe's dream of taking kids to World Cup shattered - Dec 03, 2010
- Russian WC football 2018 bid boss says England fans 'utmost hooligans' - May 31, 2010
- Beckham integral part of 2018 World Cup bid team: Triesman - Dec 03, 2009
- British PM plays tennis with London mayor - Sep 09, 2011
- Sebastian Coe launches Olympic bicycles - Dec 11, 2011
- Cricket overshadowing other sports in India: Sebastian Coe - Apr 28, 2011
- World Cup bosses seek Interpol's help to probe bid corruption claims - May 21, 2010
- England apologises for Lord Triesman's bribing allegations against Spain, Russia - May 22, 2010
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- FIFA tells England to be careful if it wants to stay in WC 2018 bid race - May 29, 2010
- Increase in 2012 Olympics budget is investment for London's future: Coe - Dec 12, 2011
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- England is best country to host World Cup: Capello - May 20, 2010
- Coe backs Thompson to light the Olympic flame - Jul 15, 2011
- FIFA to probe Triesman's comments - May 18, 2010