Sebastian Coe dismisses concerns over security of London 2012December 10th, 2011 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 10 (IANS) Sebastian Coe, president of the organising committee of the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympic Games, said here Saturday that the Games will be safe and smooth though many security concerns have been raised recently.
Complex security issues for the Olympics have been altered after the London riots in August, which shocked Britain and damaged London’s image abroad, but Coe expressed no worries about that, Xinhua reported.
“Security in big global cities is, of course, always a challenge. It is something you have to get right. You want people coming to the city feeling they are coming for a celebration, not a security event, so getting the balance is important,” said Coe, who was in Beijing to attend the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) General Assembly.
Coe said the riots didn’t impact the Games’ preparation.
“We had test events going on at that time, and most of them were unaffected, police controlled the situation very quickly,” said Coe.
“We also had chef de mission meetings, 205 Olympic committees were with us, and those meetings have not been affected. So in a way, it was a good test, a year before the Olympics.”
- Increase in 2012 Olympics budget is investment for London's future: Coe - Dec 12, 2011
- Sebastian Coe launches Olympic bicycles - Dec 11, 2011
- Seb Cole promises London will not become 'siege city' during Games - Dec 29, 2011
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- Olympics: Security is top priority, says Cameron - Jul 27, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Coe promises 'safe and secure' Games - Jul 21, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- British PM plays tennis with London mayor - Sep 09, 2011
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- Mystery woman in Indian contingent a cast member, says Coe (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Billy Mitchell to carry Olympic flame through Albert Square - Nov 15, 2011
- London Olympics motto 'Inspire a generation' unveiled - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympics, beijing, chef de mission, complex security, general assembly, global cities, international paralympic committee, ipc, london 2012 olympics, london riots, olympic committees, olympics, organising committee, paralympic games, sebastian coe, security concerns, security event, security issues, test events, xinhua