Search on for 20-year-old who swindled depositors of Rs.1.1 bnAugust 29th, 2008 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 29 (IANS) The Kerala police are on the lookout for a 20-year-old man who disappeared after swindling investors to the tune of Rs.1.1 billion, the police said. “For the past few days there has been a hue and cry in the media about Sabari and now we have received a few complaints of people being cheated by him. We have begun investigating and a special squad will be appointed to probe the matter,” Senior Inspector General of Police Arun Kumar Sinha told IANS.
Sabari launched a financial services company ‘Total 4 U’ 18 months ago offering a high rate of interest to depositors.
His modus operandi was simple. On an investment of Rs.100,000 ($2,500) for three months, he would return Rs.160,000.
With this high return on investment and prompt payment over the past 17 months, Sabari won the confidence of many and his client base increased.
Sabari, who is believed to have just basic educational qualifications had a lavish life style and owned many luxury cars. A month ago he had opened a recording studio in a prominent hotel at Kochi.
But the investors sensed something amiss when they were asked to come back again when they went to Sabari’s office to collect their money.
“Following the complaints and the media report last night we have seized an eight acre plot of land near the city here where he was building cottages. We have registered a cheating case against him and we are on the lookout for him,” said Sinha.
Meanwhile, a TV channel Thursday aired an interview of Sabari where he claimed to possess assets worth Rs.400 million.
Media reports claimed that Sabari had a client base of a mere 1,200 investors who had deposited Rs.1.1 billion with his company.
- Goa newspaper's editor, wife arrested for cheating investors - Sep 06, 2012
- Kolkata conman dupes Jet Airways of Rs.2 crore, nabbed - Nov 10, 2010
- Conman dupes by posing as cop, held - Jun 19, 2012
- 20-year-old arrested for Rs.2 bn fraud - Sep 01, 2008
- Man held for cheating AIIMS nurse - Oct 16, 2011
- Fake job racket, headed by Delhi Police constable, busted - Apr 30, 2012
- Man held for job fraud - Dec 27, 2011
- Man held for duping 4,000 investors - Oct 03, 2011
- 'Psycho-killer' held for three murders - May 21, 2011
- Businessman held for duping investors of Rs.22 crore - Aug 19, 2009
- Father-son duo arrested for cheating - Sep 08, 2010
- Men who robbed in police uniform arrested - Jun 11, 2012
- Tripura to probe illegal financial firms - Mar 07, 2012
- 25 kg gold seized from fake CBI officer - Sep 09, 2011
- Chain snatchers and their new tricks - Jun 04, 2012