Search begins for CRPF trooper who faked his killingAugust 26th, 2010 - 3:19 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 26 (IANS) Chhattisgarh police Thursday launched a search for a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) trooper who allegedly faked his own murder to get Rs.4 million in insurance money that is given to cops who get killed in Maoist violence. They have arrested his accomplice.
Police say constable Kanhaiyalal Yadav of CRPF’s 204 Battalion — who was posted in the restive Bastar region — murdered a man Aug 15, beheaded the body and then poured acid on it to make it difficult for police to identify the body. He then put his I-card inside the clothes worn by the dead man.
The incident took place in Bastar district. Initially police believed the constable was killed by Maoists and even his family members from Ghazipur in Uttar Pradesh reached Raipur to receive the body and claimed the insurance amount.
But the murder story got a twist when a forensic report indicated that the body did not belong to the CRPF trooper. Later, police said the body actually was a man called Umesh Yadav.
“We have launched a search to arrest Kanhaiyalal Yadav who staged his own killing. The CRPF constable’s cousin, Kapil, has been arrested in Uttar Pradesh,” Bastar district Superintendent of Police P. Sunder Raj told IANS.
“Kanhaiyalal along with Kapil had actually murdered Umesh Yadav and beheaded his body and disfigured portions of the body to convince police that it was the CRPF constable.”
“Evidence collected from the spot convinced us that someone had deliberately tried to show it was a Maoist attack. The finger prints of the dead man and finger prints of CRPF constable Kanhaiyalal Yadav did not match. While 10-inch shoes were found near the headless body, investigations revealed that the CRPF constable’s shoe size was eight inches,” said Sunder Raj.
He said police were handling the case very seriously and a team was sent to Ghazipur and detained the constable’s cousin Kapil, who spilled the beans.
He said police investigations also found that Kanhaiyalal had got a life insurance policy of Rs.3 million made from a private insurance company recently.
- Maoists kill CRPF trooper in Chhattisgarh - Mar 26, 2012
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- Maoists kill CRPF constable in Chhattisgarh - Dec 27, 2010
- Headless body of CRPF personnel found in Chhattisgarh - Aug 16, 2010
- CRPF trooper killed in Maoist attack - Sep 18, 2011
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast - Aug 07, 2012
- Police clueless on CRPF trooper's killing - Mar 23, 2012
- CRPF trooper kills colleague in Chhattisgarh - Mar 01, 2011
- Five policemen killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attacks - Jun 27, 2011
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- CRPF trooper killed as Maoists trigger IED blast - Mar 18, 2010
- Maoists kill five security men in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Three cops, two civilians killed in Maoist violence - Jun 24, 2010
- CRPF kill 9 Maoists in Bastar gunfight, rebels strike back (Second Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
Tags: accomplice, bastar, chhattisgarh, constable, dead man, district superintendent, eight inches, finger prints, forensic report, ghazipur, headless body, insurance money, kapil, maoist, maoists, murder story, police investigations, reserve police, shoe size, yadav