Scuffle in army unit raises hacklesMay 11th, 2012 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 11 (IANS) A scuffle between army personnel in an artillery unit posted in Jammu and Kashmir close to the border with China has raised the hackles of the South Block mandarins, who have ordered a probe into the incident.
The physical fight between the two group of army officers and soldiers took place at the unit in Nyoma, a key army and air force base, according to information reaching here.
The army personnel were undergoing training and were firing their artillery weapons when fisticuffs broke out, according to army sources here.
However, there were no casualties, except for some soldiers suffering minor injuries, they added.
“There was a scuffle in an artillery unit during field firing. The incident is under investigation and necessary action will be taken,” an officer in the army headquarters said here.
The defence ministry, on learning about the incident, has ordered a probe and sought a report from the army, officials said.
- Nyoma violence: No mutiny, only indiscipline, says army - May 12, 2012
- Army unit standoff raised in parliament, PM bars debate (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Concerned over clashes within, Indian Army 'back to basics' - Sep 19, 2012
- Avalanches kill 12 army personnel in Kashmir (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing - Jul 26, 2012
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Soldier shoots colleagues before killing himself - Dec 12, 2010
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Israel building rocket battalion - Apr 04, 2012
- Two army officers killed in Siachen bunker fire (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Woman killed, 17 hurt in Jammu terror attack (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2010
- Three dead in Chennai hospital blaze (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Security forces continue search post-encounter in Assam - Aug 20, 2011
- 'Stringent action will be taken against officers involved in Adarsh scam': Army Chief - Dec 15, 2010
- Indian Army probing sexual abuse charges against UN peacekeepers in Congo - Jun 07, 2011
Tags: air force base, army headquarters, army officers, army officials, army personnel, army sources, army unit, artillery unit, artillery weapons, casualties, china, defence ministry, hackles, jammu, kashmir, mandarins, minor injuries, New Delhi, physical fight