Scribe seeks Rs.3 mn compensation from Delta AirlinesOctober 22nd, 2008 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Oct 22 (IANS) A Kerala journalist has demanded a compensation of Rs.3 million from Delta Airlines over extra payment he was charged for baggage at a New York airport.In his petition to the District Consumer Protection Redressal Forum here, P. Sreekumar, bureau chief of Malayalam newspaper Janmabhoomi, demanded the compensation for the mental torture and agony he said he suffered from this episode during a trip he took to the US last June with his wife and a colleague.
When they arrived at the New York airport June 21 with tickets for Houston, they were told they could take only one checked-in baggage each and asked to pay $210 for the other three pieces they had brought from India.
Sreekumar told IANS that they had every right to carry the luggage without any payment because their ticket clearly stated they could each take two pieces of checked-in baggage.
“We were harassed at the airport by the officials of the airline and they were adamant that if we wished to proceed with the luggage, we have to pay the charges,” said Sreekumar. “We had no extra money with us. But luckily we had with us a credit card and used that.”
“We have sought a compensation of Rs.1 million each, plus the US $210 which they charged,” he said.
The three went to the US for a function of the Federation of Kerala Association of North America.
“I have been to the US on five occasions to take part in their meetings and I never had to undergo such an ordeal. We sent legal notices to the officials concerned of the airline in Mumbai.
“But even though they received our notice, they did not reply and hence we have approached the court here,” said Sreekumar, whose petition has been accepted by the court.
- UAE's flydubai debuts in India with Lucknow flight - Jun 03, 2010
- Presidential polls: Ballot boxes to reach Delhi by Friday - Jul 19, 2012
- One held after small blast on Miami airport tarmac - Dec 29, 2010
- Indian filmmaker Vijay Kumar leaves US (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 15, 2010
- Tags to Raj Kapoor lounge - sponsors chip in at IFFI - Nov 18, 2011
- Mangalore air crash: Rs.75 lakh for each victim's kin (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Ryanair passengers to be charged for peeing! - Apr 08, 2010
- Kingfisher, Air India owe Rs.525 crore to GMR - Apr 10, 2012
- Helsinki Airport's new check-in and baggage facilities increase luggage capabilities by 43 percent - May 10, 2010
- Ryanair's Toilet Fee Raises an Eyebrow - Apr 10, 2010
- Power cut hits London's Gatwick airport - Mar 10, 2012
- Air India crisis continues for 15th day, losses Rs.250 crore - May 22, 2012
- Airlines to begin check-in on Airport Metro from Friday (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Oz considering banning electronic tickets, automatic baggage check-ins over security reasons - Jan 09, 2011
- Airlines advised not to hike fares: DGCA - May 11, 2012